We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: February 11, 2022)
Vegan Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
This vegan gingerbread loaf cake recipe is the most delicious spiced dessert ever!
It’s made with warm spiced like cinnamon, nutmeg and of course ginger.
It’s also flavored with molasses, brown sugar and vanilla.
This vegan ginger cake is then topped off with a simple vanilla and cinnamon frosting, which pairs perfectly with the gingerbread.
The ultimate holiday cake, but perfect year-round – especially in the winter!
This recipe for vegan gingerbread cake is always a huge hit during the holidays or any winter gathering!
Everyone is always shocked it’s vegan and it never lasts through the night!
Not only that – it’s incredibly easy to make and has mostly pantry staples for ingredients.
The best and richest cake and completely egg free and dairy free!
Best Vegan Gingerbread Cake Dessert
This vegan gingerbread recipe is best served with a warm cup of fresh coffee or your favorite tea (black tea is one of my favorite pairings!).
It’s the best cake to enjoy on a cold fall or winter night.
I make this again and again year after year and never get tired of it.
I just love making loaf desserts – they are the simplest recipes and they always turn out amazing and so comforting!
- Flour – All-purpose, or use a 1:1 gluten free flour blend.
- Vegan Butter – I like using butter in this recipe instead of oil for the added flavor.
- Brown Sugar – Adds just the right amount of sweetness, you can also add or use less to taste.
- Molasses – I love the flavor of molasses in this ginger cake, especially perfect during the holidays.
- Spices – A delicious combination of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Flax Egg – Acts as an egg to add moisture and help bind.
- Plant Milk – I love oat, almond and soy.
- Vinegar – I usually use apple cider vinegar, but you can also use white.
- Vanilla – Adds another depth of flavor.
- Baking Soda – To make a nice fluffy bread.
- Salt – Brings out all the sweet spiced flavor.
- Cinnamon Frosting – A simple, yet delicious combination of vegan butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and ground cinnamon!
How to Make Vegan Ginger Cake
Making the Homemade Gingerbread
This vegan gingerbread loaf recipe is very simple to make.
To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan!
Then, whisk together your dry ingredients in one bowl, and your wet (plus the sugar) in another until well combined.
Pour the dry into the wet and whisk until smooth.
Try not to overmix, just be sure there are no flour clumps.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.
The loaf is done when it springs back up after being gently pressed, and when a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean without any wet batter on it.
Let the loaf cool for about 10-15 minutes in the pan, then run a knife along the edges and carefully remove.
I usually like to flip the loaf over onto a plate, and then flip again onto the cooling rack.
Place on a cooling rack to fully cool.
Making Cinnamon Gingerbread Frosting
To prepare your frosting, simply mix the vegan butter, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth.
Then add the powdered sugar and mix until a creamy frosting is formed – I like to use a whisk to speed things up.
Once fully cooled, spread the frosting all over the top of the loaf.
I like to serve mine with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon on top!
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE GINGERBREAD LOAF?
This easy gingerbread loaf can be stored in an airtight container on the counter for three to four days, or in the fridge for four to five days.
I prefer the texture at room temperature, but if your home is hot it’s best kept in the fridge so the frosting doesn’t get too soft.
CAN I MAKE GINGERBREAD WITHOUT MOLASSES?
The molasses definitely adds a lot of flavor and color to this loaf, but if you’re in a pinch you can substitute for maple syrup, corn syrup, or 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup of maple syrup or corn syrup.
I have not made this specific bread without molasses, but these substitutions should work fine.
CAN I MAKE GINGERBREAD WITHOUT FROSTING?
Of course – you can leave the frosting off and add a little more brown sugar to the bread if desired.
You can also top it with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, almond butter, vegan whipped cream or yogurt, pecans before baking, or just enjoy plain!
Easy Gingerbread Loaf Recipe
My Vegan Gingerbread Cookies are one of my favorite desserts to make by far – but sometimes I don’t have the time to commit to shaping and decorating.
This vegan ginger cake recipe is just as tasty and literally in the oven in no time.
No fuss, just mixing, pouring and baking.
You’ll be blown away at how easy and delicious this cake is, you won’t regret it!
This recipe is:
- Topped with Cinnamon Frosting
Pin this for later!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, room temp
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Flax Egg*
- 1 Cup Plant Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, room temp
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cinnamon + more to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Loaf: In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegan butter, brown sugar, molasses, flax egg, plant milk, vinegar and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour the dry into the wet and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes. You'll know it's done if it springs back up when you gently press on the top, or when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean without any wet batter on it.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, then carefully run a knife along the edges and remove loaf. Place on a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Frosting: mix together the vegan butter, vanilla and cinnamon until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Spread over fully cooled gingerbread loaf and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy.
*1 Tablespoon ground flax or chia seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
**I recommend using a butter like country crock plant butter sticks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 351Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 4g