We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: May 1, 2023)
Best Chewy Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
This vegan gingerbread cookie recipe comes together in no time, and it’s perfectly soft, chewy and spiced!
I’ve always been a fan of chewy gingerbreads over crispy ones, and these thick ginger and molasses cookies are cute, delicious and especially perfect for the holidays!
Being such a classic recipe, these taste just how you expect them to but are free of dairy and eggs, and are the perfect balance of sweet and spice.
Soft Homemade Ginger Cookies
Making cookies from scratch is always the best way to go, and with all the flavor in these cookies they’re sure to be a hit.
With cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, molasses and vanilla, and a touch of sweet vanilla frosting, there’s nothing that compares!
You can also decorate them anyway you’d like, add some coloring to the frosting and draw on some scarves or colored buttons, these cookies are so easy to decorate and the more frosting you add, the better!
How to Make Vegan Gingerbread Cookies from Scratch
Mixing the Cookie Dough
There’s no difficult steps when it comes to making this vegan gingerbread cookie dough, just start by mixing all your dry ingredients into a large bowl.
In another bowl add in the vegan butter, flax egg, molasses, plant milk, sugar and vanilla and mix well, then pour it into the dry ingredients.
Fold until it starts to form a dough ball, it may help to use your hands towards the end to bring everything together!
Chilling and Rolling out the Dough
Wrap the dough and let it chill in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, then unwrap the dough and place 1/2 of it on a flat surface covered in parchment paper. Add another sheet of parchment on top and carefully roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick, you may need to use your hands on the roller instead of the handles to avoid moving the paper!
Cutting and Baking the Dough
Cut out gingerbread men with a cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or aluminum foil. Add remaining dough to other 1/2 and continue rolling out and reshaping until as much of the dough is used up as possible.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the middle of the cookie springs back up when you gently poke it with your finger.
Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack until they cool completely.
Then mix together your frosting and place in a piping bag – if you don’t have one you can place the frosting in a Ziploc bag and snip a small bit off a corner, though this is a bit trickier to use!
Easy Vegan Ginger Molasses Cookies
What I really love about these cookies is how every ingredients adds so much flavor, like how adding molasses means the dough doesn’t need as much plant milk, and how brown sugar adds that deep sweet flavor compared to cane sugar.
Not to mention all the festive spices that make for these perfect chewy gingerbread cookies.
Perfect for the holidays or for anytime of year, you’ll love these spiced cookies!
This recipe is:
Try these other vegan cookies!
Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
Lofthouse-Inspired Sugar Cookies
Pin this to try later!
Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
This soft and chewy vegan gingerbread cookie recipe is so easy and delicious! Finished off with a simple vegan vanilla frosting.
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Vegan Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Flax Egg*
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Cup Vegan Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp Plant milk
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg until well combined.
2. To a large bowl, add in the vegan butter, flax egg, molasses, vanilla, sugar and plant milk until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and fold together until it begins to form a dough. You may need to use your hands towards the end to help shape the dough.
3. Wrap and place in the freezer to chill for 15-20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take your chilled dough and place on a flat surface covered in parchment paper, and place another sheet of parchment paper on top.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until about 1/4 inch thick, you may need to use your hands on the rolling pin instead of the handles so the paper does not move.
6. Cut out as many gingerbread men as possible and place on a baking tray covered in parchment paper. Roll dough back up into a ball and repeat to get as many cookies as possible, you may need to re-chill it if it becomes difficult to work with.
7. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the middle of the cookies spring back up when you press them down gently with your finger.
8. Allow to chill in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely and then mix together your frosting and pipe on faces or designs as desired!
*1 tbsp flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water - let sit for 5-10 minutes until thickened.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124
17 thoughts on “Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Recipe”