We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: May 23, 2022)
Soft and Chewy Vegan Sugar Cookies
This easy vegan sugar cookie recipe makes the best soft and chewy cookies!
They are perfectly sweet and buttery with subtle flavors of vanilla and almond, perfect for any occasion.
These cookies are totally dairy free and egg free and made with simple pantry ingredients you probably already have.
With the help of a little vinegar, almond milk and vegan butter, you can make the best sugar cookies ever!
These cookies are made in one bowl and are baked in just 10 minutes.
Made with no weird ingredients and perfect for vegans and non-vegans as no one will even be able to tell!
Best Dairy Free Sugar Cookie Recipe
This sugar cookie recipe is the ideal treat to snack on at home or share at birthday parties, BBQs, holidays, picnics and more.
They are just the right amount of sweet, and the extra flavors of almond and vanilla make them suitable for kids and adults alike!
- All-Purpose Flour – You can also use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- White Sugar – White sugar helps the cookies keep their light color, you can also use coconut sugar.
- Vegan Butter – Use a good-tasting vegan butter stick like Country Crock Plant Butter.
- Almond Milk – Any plant-based milk will do! My favorites are usually almond and oat.
- White Vinegar – This helps the cookies rise without egg, you can also use apple cider vinegar.
- Vanilla & Almond Extract – This is the best ever combination! You can just use vanilla, but a little almond takes these cookies to the next level!
- Baking Soda & Baking Powder – A combination of these two creates the perfect cookie rise and texture!
- Salt – To bring out the simple and wonderful flavors!
How to Make Vegan Sugar Cookies
Making the Cookie Dough
To make these tasty cookies, start by whisking together the vegan butter and sugar until smooth, then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
Due to the vinegar, the wet mixture may appear slightly gritty, but this is fine, it will all come together!
Add the dry ingredients and mix until a dough is formed, then refrigerate for an hour (I highly recommend doing this as it helps them keep their shape and be puffier after baking).
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Finally, take two tablespoon amounts of dough and roll into balls, toss through white sugar to get a light coating and then place two inches apart on your baking tray covered with parchment paper.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed with lightly browned bottoms – cool and enjoy!
Serving Vegan Cookies
These cookies are perfect on their own, the sugar coating gives them a subtle shine and they are such a classic and tasty cookie, with a surprise almond flavor that is subtle yet so delicious.
If you want some added sweetness, you can frost these tasty cookies with my Vegan Chocolate Frosting, Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting or Vegan Vanilla Frosting – have fun using different dyes to color them too!
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days, if they are frosted and you live in a particularly warm home, put them in the fridge!
This cookie recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Soft & Chewy
- Perfect for any Occasion
- Totally Customizable!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup White Sugar + more for rolling
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1/4 Cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 Tsp White Vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Almond Extract (optional)
- 3/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- In a bowl, whisk together the vegan butter and sugar until smooth. Add almond milk, vanilla, almond and vinegar and whisk again until combined.*
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour if possible.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll 2 Tbsp amounts of dough into balls, roll in white sugar to lightly coat, then place 2 inches apart of a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until puffed with lightly browned bottoms, cool and enjoy!
*Due to the vinegar, the wet mixture may appear slightly gritty, but this is fine, just mix well and then all the dry ingredients and it will form a dough.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 148mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g