We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: November 28, 2021)
Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
This homemade vegan pumpkin pie recipe is so rich, creamy, and flavorful!
It’s packed with comforting spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves, with creamy coconut milk and brown sugar.
This pumpkin pie is so easy to make from scratch and it has the best soft texture that’s still firm enough to cut.
It’s complete with a homemade buttery and flaky pie crust!Making your own pie from scratch is not only the tastiest option, it also makes it that much more special when you share it with friends and family!
Not only that, but it’s also a great budget-friendly way to make one of the most iconic desserts out there.
Easy Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling
This pie has the perfect balance of sugar and spice, with the most delicious homemade butter crust.
I made this pie many times until I found that creamy texture that is just dense enough.
I found that the secret was a mix between a flax egg and just a couple tablespoons of cornstarch.
Anymore and I found the pie to be too much like jello, and too little and the pie was runny.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you, I know you’ll love it!
The best way to serve homemade pumpkin pie is with dairy-free whipped cream on top!
There are tons of store-bought options for this now, but I also love this homemade recipe.
How to Make Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie
Preparing the Butter Crust
To make this yummy pie, start by mixing together the flour, sugar and salt for your crust. Then add the cold, cubed vegan butter.
Cut it in with a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture has a sandy texture.
Then add just enough water until it starts to come together. You’ll know it’s ready when you can squeeze some of it together with your fingers and it sticks and doesn’t crumble.
On a flat, lightly floured surface, roll it out into a 12 inch circle, using more flour if needed to avoid sticking.
Roll the dough onto the rolling pan, and then transfer it to a 9 inch pie pan with non-stick spray.
Gently pat it down evenly, and crinkle the edges with your fingers! Let this chill in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to set.
Making the Pumpkin Filling
To make your pumpkin pie filling, start by mixing the spices, brown sugar, and cornstarch together, and then add the pumpkin, coconut milk and flax egg.
Mix until smooth and set aside!
Baking Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Take your chilled pie crust and add a small piece of aluminum foil into the center. Fill with pie weights, dry beans or dry rice to avoid rising.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees F, and then remove the aluminum and weight and bake for 5-8 more. You want the crust set without any translucence.
Pour in your pie filling, and then cover the edges with a pie crust shield, or a couple strips of aluminum foil to avoid the crust burning.
Bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 degree F for another 25-30 minutes, or until the center has set.
Let the pie cool for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a hot pad in the fridge for 2-3 hours to fully set.
Be careful the pie pan doesn’t touch anything else in the fridge because it will be very hot!
Then you can cut into slices and enjoy!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Pie from Scratch
This dairy free pumpkin pie recipe is perfect for the holidays, or as a fun and tasty dessert any time!
Something I really love about this pie is that you can really taste all the spices, and it has the best texture both cold or at room temperature.
You can also make this the night before or the morning of, and just keep it in the fridge until it’s time for dessert.
This frees up the oven for anything else you have to make!
This recipe is:
- Made from Scratch
Check out these other vegan dessert recipes!
Pin this for later!
For the Crust
- 1 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, cold & cubed
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3-5 Tbsp Cold Water
For the Filling
- 1 15 oz. Can Pumpkin Puree
- 3/4 Cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk (unsweetened from a can)*
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Flax Egg**
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- To make the crust, start by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together. Then add the cold, cubed vegan butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or using two forks, until mixture has a sandy texture.
- Add just enough cold water until it starts to come together, and can be squished together with your fingers.
- Flour a flat surface and place dough down, shaping into a circle. Roll out into a 12 inch circle with a rolling pin. If the edges crack a bit you can just squish them back together. Use another sprinkle of flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and then unroll on a 9 inch pie pan sprayed with non-stick spray. Chill for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
- In the meantime, start on the filling: mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cornstarch and salt. Then add the pumpkin puree, coconut milk and flax egg and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Once pie crust has chilled, preheat oven to 425 degrees F and place a small amount of aluminum foil over the center of the crust. Add pie weights, or dry beans or rice to help it not rise. Pre-bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove aluminum foil and weights and bake another 5-8 minutes, until the center is set and there is no translucence.
- Allow the crust to cool until it's just warm and not hot. Pour in filling mixture.
- To help the edges not burn, cover them with a pie crust shield or aluminum foil (see video for reference).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 25-30 minutes. The center should not look wet but will still look jiggly and will firm up when chilled.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes and then place on a hot pad in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set, making sure the pan isn't touching anything else in the fridge.
- Cut and enjoy!
*Be sure to shake the can well before you pour it as the water and coconut cream can separate.
**1 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 3 tbsp water, let sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 270mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g