We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: July 23, 2021)
Creamy Vegan Macaroni Salad Recipe
This vegan macaroni salad has the perfect level of creaminess, crunchiness and color!
Packed with fresh, crisp veggies, a slightly sweet and tangy flavor, and just the right amount of dairy-free mayo.
There’s a very fine balance when it comes to making macaroni salad, but the result is the best tasting cold pasta salad you’ll ever eat!
Usually macaroni salad is packed with various dairy products, but this one is completely vegan and a necessity for summertime activities and barbecues!This easy pasta salad is ready in under 20 minutes and is the best last minute side dish!
Even though it has a bit of vegan mayonnaise, it’s still a super light and refreshing dish that’s ideal on a hot day.
This salad is all you need for picnics, lake days, camping, meal prepping or just having lunch outside!
While already totally vegan, you can always sub in gluten-free pasta if needed.
Vegetarian Macaroni Salad with Mayo
I’ve seen some macaroni salad recipes use blended cashews, white beans and tahini in place of mayo.
I love trying these alternatives, and some I really love!
However, I’m always looking for ways to make traditional recipes as simply vegan as possible, and there are so many vegan mayonnaise brands in stores these days.
It makes these dairy-free recipes so easy and helps them have that classic delicious flavor!
That’s why I love this simple vegan macaroni salad recipe – it’s ready in no time and all you have to do is throw everything in a bowl.
Once you start eating this macaroni salad, you won’t be able to stop!
It’s perfectly flavored, and full of veggies – sometimes the best things in life are the simplest!
- Elbow Pasta – Can also be substituted for gluten-free pasta.
- Dairy-Free Mayo – Most stores now carry a dairy-free brand!
- Celery – For some added crunch.
- Sweet Pickles + Juice – This ingredient is a game changer!
- Red Pepper – Adds color and flavor.
- Red Onion – Adds a slight kick and color!
- Dill – Fresh dill is always best, but dried is perfectly fine.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This adds that delicious tangy flavor!
- Dijon Mustard – No macaroni salad is complete without mustard.
- Sugar – Just a tiny sprinkle to balance the vinegar.
- Salt & Pepper – Adjust to taste.
- Smoked Paprika – Optional to top, but highly recommended.
How to Make Vegan Macaroni Salad
Preparing the Pasta Salad Ingredients
Making this vegetarian macaroni pasta salad is super easy, and you only need one bowl!
First, go ahead and cook the elbow pasta to al dente according to the package.
Once cooked, strain and run under cold water immediately to stop the cooking process and ensure they have the perfect texture.
Then strain again and add to the bowl.
Mixing and Serving Macaroni Salad
Add all the chopped veggies and the rest of the ingredients to the same bowl.
Mix well to evenly distribute everything, and you’re done!
I always suggest giving it a taste test to see if you want to add anymore flavor, but I found this combination to be perfect!
Let the pasta chill in the fridge for at least thirty minutes before serving with some smoked paprika sprinkled on top!
This recipe keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
Vegan Pasta Salad Recipe with Veggies
This vegan pasta salad is a great way to sneak in extra veggies without even realizing it.
They add texture and flavor but are covered in a delicious macaroni salad dressing that is packed with flavor!
This recipe would also be delicious with some crumbled tofu to act like egg, a little dairy-free sour cream instead of just mayo, some garlic powder, peas, carrots, sliced black olives, fresh parsley or green onions.
It’s totally customizable and anything you think would be good, go ahead and add it in!
This recipe is:
- Slightly Sweet
- Packed with Veggies
Check out these other vegan dishes to serve alongside this pasta salad!
Pin this for later!
- 8 oz. Elbow Pasta, uncooked
- 3/4 Cup Dairy-Free Mayo
- 3 Stalks Celery, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sweet Pickles, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Red Pepper, chopped
- 1/3 Cup Red Onion, chopped
- 2 Tsp Dried Dill (or 1/4 cup fresh)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Pickle Juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- Smoked Paprika for serving (optional)
- Cook elbow pasta to al dente according to package.
- While waiting for pasta, chop all the veggies and add to a bowl along with the remaining ingredients.
- Once pasta is done, strain and immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Strain again and add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well to evenly distribute everything - give it a taste test to see if you want to add anything more.
- Place in the fridge to cool at least 30 minutes before serving with a sprinkle of smoked paprika!
*Keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 546mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 3g