We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Easy Vegan Pad Thai Recipe
This Vegan Pad Thai recipe is bursting with flavor and super simple to make!
It has thick rice noodles tossed in an tangy, homemade peanut sauce, with vegetables and fried tofu.
It’s served with plenty of toppings and is one of the most comforting foods ever!
So much flavor and different textures, you’ll want to add this to your weekly recipes routine for sure.This easy vegetarian pad Thai is one of my most favorite weekend recipes to make these days – it’s all I want on a cozy night after a long week.
The tangy peanut butter sauce has the most delicious sweet and savory flavor with just a few ingredients.
Of course this recipe is also perfect during the week – I’ve used it for meal prepping the next day and it worked great with a little soy sauce to liven it up, but it’s definitely at its best served fresh immediately!
This recipe isn’t authentic Thai, but simply my take on the tasty recipe using easy-to-find, everyday grocery store ingredients and a tiny bit of technique!
Vegan Pad Thai with Tofu
This recipe for vegan pad Thai is ready in under 30 minutes and is so easy to make.
It’s also made in one bowl, has minimal clean up and it perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike!
There are some other ingredients you can add to/exchange for in the simple sauce.
- Vegan fish sauce can be used in place of Hoisin
- Liquid aminos can be used in place of soy sauce
- A tablespoon of tamarind paste can be used in place of vinegar
- You can also add a little sriracha for a kick
- Rice Noodles – You want thick rice noodles – some brands say Pad Thai on the label, others you can use are linguine or stir fry.
- Extra-Firm-Tofu – Be sure to press it to remove some of the moisture, and then cut into cubes.
- Red Pepper – Cored and sliced into long thin pieces.
- Garlic Cloves – Fresh is best, jarred minced garlic is also convenient.
- Carrots – Use large carrots sliced into long thin pieces, or shredded carrots.
- Bean Sprouts – Fresh is best, but if you can’t find it you can usually find them canned.
- Oil – I used olive oil, sometimes I add a splash of sesame oil too.
- Peanuts – Add a nice crunch and compliment to the sauce.
- Peanut Sauce – A simple mixture of rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, lime juice and peanut butter!
- Toppings – Feel free to use what you’d like, my favorites are peanuts, cilantro, green onion and lime wedges.
How to Make Vegan Pad Thai
Prepping and Frying the Tofu
To make this delicious vegetarian pad Thai recipe, start by cooking the noodles according to their package.
Mix together your sauce ingredients and set aside.
Then you’ll want to get started on your tofu.
Lightly press the tofu to remove some excess moisture (this doesn’t have to be perfect), and then cut the tofu into cubes.
Add oil to a pan over medium/high heat and add the tofu to the pan.
Cook for 2-4 minutes, carefully flipping every now and then, until golden brown on most sides.
Cooking the Vegetables
Add the sliced pepper and carrots and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Then add in the garlic and bean sprouts and cook for another minutes.
Pad Thai with Homemade Sauce
Finally, add to the pan the cooked noodles, the homemade sauce and the peanuts and toss to coat evenly.
Let this cook for another two minutes or until nicely warmed, and then enjoy immediately with toppings!
You can use the toppings I did, or throw on anything else you’d like!
Vegetable Pad Thai with Peanut Sauce
The peanut sauce in this recipe is bursting with fresh and tangy flavor!
It has just the right balance of salty, sweet and savory and all you have to do is mix it together and toss it into the noodles and veggies.
Faster than take out and made affordably right at home!
This recipe is:
- Sweet & Savory
Check out these other vegan pasta recipes!
Pin this for later!
- 8 oz. Pad Thai Rice Noodles*
- 1/2 Block Extra-Firm-Tofu, pressed & cubed
- 1 Red Pepper, cored & sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cup Carrots, sliced
- 1 Cup Bean Sprouts
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 3 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- Fresh Cilantro
- Green Onion
- Lime Wedges
- Cook noodles according to package. Set aside.
- Mix together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Add oil to a pan over medium/high heat and add tofu to the pan. Cook for 2-4 minutes, carefully flipping occasionally, until golden brown on most sides.
- Add pepper and carrots and cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add garlic and bean sprouts and cook another minute.
- Add cooked noodles, sauce and peanuts to pan and toss to coat evenly.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes and then serve immediately with toppings, enjoy!
*Some brands say Pad Thai on the label, others you can use are Linguine or Stir Fry.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 564Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 1144mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 7gSugar: 19gProtein: 24g