We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Vegan Almond Donuts
I just love these yummy vegan baked donuts, they’re fluffy, delicious, and just the right amount of sweet.
The donuts have a subtle nutmeg and almond flavor, and are perfectly balanced by the just-sweet-enough vanilla cream frosting.
This is absolutely my new go-to treat, and a pretty sprinkled donut is sure to please just about anyone you’re baking for.
Making Vegan Baked Donuts
This recipe is pretty simple: you mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another, then pour the wet into the dry and combine. Be careful not to overmix though, it can cause the donuts to lose some fluffiness!
You can use a piping bag to add the batter to your non-stick (or oiled) donut pan, but if you’re like me and too lazy to get it out, just carefully scoop it in with a spoon!
I leveled out the top of the donuts with a spoon to make them prettier, just dip the spoon in water first to avoid sticking.
Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes (I did 16), and you’re done.!Just be sure they cool completely before you dip them in the frosting.
If you don’t have a donut pan handy, I’ve heard you can take a ball of aluminum foil, place it in the middle of a muffin tin and scoop the batter in the same way.
Vanilla Coconut Cream Frosting
After chilling in the fridge overnight, you can whip it up with a hand mixer, and in no time you have healthy and dairy-free whipped cream! It’s pretty thick at this point, so I added some vanilla extract and maple syrup to not only add flavor, but to thin it out a bit.
I also sprinkled in some beet powder to give it that cute pinkish color. It was the perfect consistency for dipping and I’m so excited to use this frosting in more recipes!
You can buy the coconut cream canned, and it works MUCH better than full-fat coconut milk for whipping.
Vegan Dye and Sprinkles
I was SO sad when I found out sprinkles weren’t vegan – I used to just think they were super unhealthy and artificially flavored, but at least thought they were vegan.
Turns out, a lot of sprinkles have bug ingredients in their dyes, so I quickly ditched them for these vegetable-colored alternatives! There’s a few good brands out there, but I found this one at my local grocery store!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
These donuts are:
- With No Artificial Ingredients!
Pin this for later!
For the Donuts
- 1 1/4 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Chia Egg*
- 1/2 Cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk (from a can)
- 1/4 Cup Almond Butter
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Dash Salt
- Dash Cinnamon (optional)
For the Frosting:
- 10 oz Chilled Coconut Cream
- 2-3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and optional cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add chia egg*, coconut milk, almond butter, and applesauce. Mix well.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Very lightly oil a donut pan**, and scoop in batter until 3/4 full. Dip a butter knife into water and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted and the edges are light brown. Allow to cool.
For the Frosting:
- Take chilled coconut cream and scoop out the thick creamy top, leaving the water in the can. Add beet powder and maple syrup and mix with a hand mixer until desired color and taste is reached.
- Spread evenly over donuts and top with vegan sprinkles! Enjoy!
*To make a chia egg: combine 1 tbsp ground chia seeds with 2 tbsp water. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken and use as an egg alternative.
**If you don't have a donut pan, simply use a muffin tin and place a ball of aluminum foil in the center to create the donut shape before adding the dough. If you want to order a donut pan, you can use this link: donut pan.
Serving Size:1 Donut
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189