We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Vegan Tempeh Bacon Recipe
This vegan tempeh bacon recipe is packed with sweet, smoky and salty flavor!
Tempeh bacon is such a simple and delicious recipe to make, and it’s perfect for adding alongside breakfast or inside a sandwich.
This recipe is baked, cholesterol-free, packed with flavor and so easy to make.
All you have to do is chop the tempeh, let it marinate in the sauce and then bake to golden brown!Tempeh is one of my favorite meat alternatives – while it still has a hearty, meaty texture, it’s much easier to work with than tofu because there’s no draining or pressing.
It also absorbs so much flavor and is the perfect substitute for bacon!
It’s a soy-based product made from fermented soy beans, and is packed with protein as well.
Vegetarian Bacon Marinade Recipe
This delicious vegetarian bacon recipe is a great alternative for anytime you need some bacon flavor.
It has all the tasty smoky maple aroma you want in bacon but is completely vegan and plant based.
This is the best ever recipe for vegan bacon and it’s so easy to make!
Smoky tempeh bacon ingredients:
- Tempeh – Plain is fine, but you can also use tempeh with added grains.
- Soy Sauce – This is the base, adds nice salty flavor as well.
- Maple Syrup – You can’t make bacon without maple flavor, I highly recommend using real maple syrup for this recipe!
- Olive Oil – Any neutral oil like vegetable will work as well.
- Liquid Smoke – This is a very important ingredient to get that smoky flavor!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This adds some tartness and helps to balance the flavors.
- Smoked Paprika – One of my favorite spices – adds smokiness and delicious flavor.
- Garlic & Onion Powder – These are optional, but recommended.
- Pepper – Adds some extra spice!
How to Make Vegan Bacon
Making the Tempeh Marinade
To begin making this smoky vegan tempeh bacon, start by cutting the tempeh into roughly 1/4 inch strips.
In a bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients until well combined.
Pour this into a shallow dish and place the tempeh strips inside.
Allow this to marinate for 20-30 minutes, flipping occasionally, to really pack them with flavor.
Baking Tempeh Bacon
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Place tempeh strips on a baking tray covered in parchment paper one inch apart.
Brush on more marinade sauce and then bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven, flip strips, add more sauce and bake for 10 final minutes.
That’s it – I like to add a final brushing of sauce on top and then they’re ready to be served.
Smoky Recipe for Vegan Bacon
This easy homemade bacon recipe is spot on with flavor, with a softer texture.
It has a beautiful golden brown color and the perfect balance of flavors!
I also love chopping this bacon up and using it on salads, it’s super delicious and a great way to add some protein!
Tips for this vegan bacon recipe:
- This recipe is best when you let the tempeh bacon marinade sit for at least 20-30 minutes. Overnight is even better, but if you’re in a hurry, a few minutes will do.
- You can also fry the tempeh instead of baking, simply add a few strips to a pan over medium heat with some of the marinade and cook until both sides are golden brown. You’ll have to do this in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Tempeh slices can be delicate when thin, so be gentle with them!
- For gluten free: most plain tempeh is gluten free, but some brands add grains so be sure to double check. Also use gluten-free tamari in place of soy sauce.
- This tempeh keeps for up to 5 days in an air tight container in the fridge, but it’s best eaten fresh.
- Feel free to adjust the seasonings to taste if you’d like!
This recipe for vegan bacon is:
- Maple Flavored
- Golden Brown
- High Protein
Check out these vegan recipes to add tempeh bacon to:
Pin this for later!
- 8 oz. Tempeh
- 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Chop tempeh into roughly 1/4 inch strips.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour into a shallow dish.
- Add tempeh slices and mix to cover well - let marinate for 20-30 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place tempeh strips on a baking tray covered in parchment paper 1 inch apart.
- Brush on more of the marinade until the slices are nicely coated.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and flip, brushing on more marinade all over the tempeh.
- Bake for 10 minutes and add a final brushing of marinade, then serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 213Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 771mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g