We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: November 30, 2022)
Easy Vegan Bacon Bits Recipe
These delicious vegan bacon bits are ready in under 15 minutes and are absolutely delicious!
They have the most irresistible smoky maple flavor and the most realistic bacon texture.
They are made with textured vegetable protein (a soy product), coated in a delicious smoky-sweet soy sauce, garlic, and paprika sauce, and then baked briefly until golden brown.
The best and easiest homemade plant-based recipe that is perfect for adding flavor to tons of dishes. Try my Vegan Tempeh Bacon next which uses a similar sauce for bacon strips!
Vegetarian Imitation Bacon Substitute
You may be surprised to discover than many store-bought brands of bacon bits are actually vegan!
Many products use soy in place of bacon and are totally meatless.
That being said, there is nothing that can beat homemade recipes, especially the irresistible smoky maple flavor in this recipe!
I also love homemade recipes because of the simple ingredients and lack of preservatives–and I love making this throughout the year to amplify all sorts of recipes!
What is TVP?
Textured vegetable protein (TVP) is a protein-rich meat alternative made from soy curls. It contains fiber and several essential nutrients like copper, folate, magnesium, and thiamin.
It’s produced while making soybean oil, and is shaped from a protein-rich paste and then dehydrated.
You can also rehydrate it and use it in place of ground meat in all sorts of recipes, I especially love adding it to my Vegan Quinoa Chili if I’m out of quinoa!
It’s readily available at most health food stores like Whole Foods, and you can always order it online!
- Textured Vegetable Protein – This is an affordable, high-protein product you can find at stores like Whole Foods. You can also order it here!
- Soy Sauce – This is the base of the “bacon” sauce, and adds the saltiness!
- Olive Oil – Any neutral oil like canola will also work, or use sesame for a new flavor!
- Maple Syrup – I love using real maple syrup in this recipe, it adds sweetness and a subtle maple flavor!
- Liquid Smoke – The most important ingredient for this bacon! Adds tons of smokiness.
- Smoked Paprika – Use this if you can, it’s so much more flavorful than regular paprika!
- Garlic & Onion Powder – These are optional, but highly recommended for more flavor!
How to Make Vegetarian Bacon Bits
Mixing and Baking Bacon Bits
To start making your homemade bacon bits, preheat your oven to 350F.
Then, in a bowl, add all the ingredients except for the textured vegetable protein. Mix very well until the powders are dissolved.
Add the textured vegetable protein and mix well to evenly distribute.
Pour onto a baking tray covered in parchment paper and evenly spread out in a thin layer.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Serving and Storing Bacon Bits
Let cool completely, and then store in an airtight container for 5 days.
There’s endless ways you can enjoy these vegetarian bacon bits, but some common ways are to sprinkle them over salads, baked potatoes, soups, pizza and more!
This recipe is:
- Easy to Make
- Vegan & Vegetarian
- Packed with Smoky Maple Flavor
Try adding this meatless bacon substitute to these recipes!
Pin this for later!
- 1/2 Cup Textured Vegetable Protein
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except for the textured vegetable protein. Mix very well until the powder is dissolved.
- Add the textured vegetable protein and mix well to evenly distribute.
- Pour onto a baking tray covered in parchment paper and evenly spread out in a thin layer.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely and then store in an airtight container for 5 days. Enjoy on baked potatoes, salads and more!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 30Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g