We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: December 14, 2022)
Easy Vegan Spam Recipe
This vegan spam recipe is incredibly easy to make, and tastes just the real thing.
It has a deliciously tangy, smoky-sweet flavor, and gets a really nice texture after being pan-fried. My favorite way to eat tofu is always frying it!
Whether you’re vegan or just want to try some meatless recipes, tofu mock meats are a great place to start.
You can also marinate the tofu overnight, which is a huge time-saver if you’re going to be busy the day you need it.
I’ve sort of stayed away from vegan mock meat recipes for awhile now, but it’s actually way easier to make them than I realized!
It’s all about the flavors you use, and just a little technique, and you can enjoy meatless alternatives to all of your favorite foods and recipes.
Meatless Vegetarian Tofu Spam
I love serving this spam in all sorts of recipes: breakfasts, dinners, or even musubi-style!
Try it in my Vegan Breakfast Burrito, aside my Easy Tofu Scramble or Vegan Hash, or in my Vegan Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole.
For a lunch or dinner, try adding it to my Vegan Quesadillas, my Spicy Potato Soft Tacos, my Black Bean Burger, or my Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice!
- Extra-Firm Tofu – Use your favorite brand!
- Soy Sauce – You can also use tamari.
- Maple Syrup – If you don’t have maple syrup, you can use brown sugar instead.
- Liquid Smoke – The most important ingredient! This adds a delicious smoky flavor.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – This is preferred, but you can also just use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.
- Smoked Paprika – So much more delicious than regular paprika!
- Garlic & Onion Powder – To add some extra flavor.
- Olive Oil to Pan Fry – I like olive oil, but you can also use vegetable or canola, any neutral oil.
How to Make Vegan Spam
Preparing the Extra-Firm Tofu
To make your vegan spam, start by pressing your tofu to get as much water out as possible.
You can use a tofu press, or wrap the tofu in a towel and place a few cans on top for about 5-10 minutes. This will remove a good bit of the water.
Once it’s pressed, cut the tofu into 6 slices: to do this, stand the tofu up, cut into 3 sections to make the block thinner, and then cut each of those in half.
Preparing the Spam Marinade
Your spam marinade is very simple but very flavor-packed!
Just mix it all together in a bowl until the powders are dissolved. A whisk may be best or a fork will do.
Then, place your tofu in a shallow dish and cover with the marinade. Let sit 15 minutes or overnight, carefully flipping half way through.
Pan Frying Tofu Spam
When ready to cook, heat a pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium to medium/low heat, carefully shake off any excess marinade, and place slices in the pan. Cook until both sides are golden brown (a minute or two each side, but just watch it), you will need to do this in 2-3 batches.
Remove from heat and brush with extra sauce as generously as desired!
You can keep this vegan spam covered in the fridge for three or four days, I would recommend pan-frying lightly to heat them back up.
This recipe is:
Try my Vegan Buffalo Chicken Wings for more meatless ideas!
Pin this for later!
Easy Vegan Spam Recipe
This quick and easy homemade vegan spam recipe has the best smoky-sweet flavor! Ready in minutes and the best vegetarian substitute!
- 1 Block Extra-Firm Tofu
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- Few Tbsp Olive Oil to Pan Fry.
- Press tofu* to get as much water out as possible.
- Mix together all remaining ingredients, set aside.
- Cut tofu into 6 slices: to do this, stand the tofu up, cut into 3 sections to make block thinner, and then cut each of those in half.
- Place in a shallow dish and cover with sauce mixture. Let sit 15 minutes or overnight, carefully flipping half way through.
- When ready to cook, heat a pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium to medium/low heat, carefully shake off any excess marinade, and place slices in the pan. Cook until both sides are golden brown (a minute or two each side, but just watch it), you will need to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Remove from heat and brush with extra sauce as generously as desired!**
*Use a tofu press, or wrap the block in a towel and place something somewhat heavy (a few cans) on top to press out some of the water. This shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.
**Be sure to not add the sauce when you pan fry, it will get very burnt. Once the tofu is done, place on a plate and brush generously with the sauce as many times as you'd like!
16 thoughts on “Easy Vegan Spam Recipe”
I never even thought vegan spam would be an option. This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try it.
in fact very easy, a super tasty vegan spam! I had it with a sandwich.
I eat a lot of tofu so this recipe will get a lot of use! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much! 🙂
This is so much fun. Perfect Vegan spam recipe. Full of protein and flavor.
Thank you 🙂
As a vegan, I’ve never actually tried regular spam before, but this recipe was so delicious! It was meaty and satisfying – will definitely make again!
Thank you!! 🙂