We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: August 16, 2023)
Spicy Potato Soft Taco Recipe
These spicy potato soft tacos are made with the crispiest, most flavorful fried potatoes!
Topped with the works and the best ever vegan potato soft tacos ever.
I used to order the potato tacos at Taco Bell — but this homemade version is even better, and super budget-friendly too.
I love keeping these potatoes on hand for whenever I want a taco, and you can customize with the protein of your liking!
Vegetarian Taco Bell Copycat Recipe
Sometimes the simplest things in life are the best–perfectly spiced, golden brown potatoes served with toppings that add even more texture, flavor and deliciousness.
With food prices going higher and higher, I’ve also been loving making homemade versions of popular recipes for cheaper, without compromising on flavor!
These tacos are comforting, delicious, and perfect for any busy night when you need a quick meal.
They’re also great for using up leftover veggies–you can just add them to the top!
- Potatoes – Use your favorite type of potato-I simply used russet.
- Olive Oil – Any neutral oil like canola or vegetable is fine too, I like the flavor and benefits of olive oil.
- Spices – I used smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Feel free to add more if you’d like!
- Toppings – To keep with the Taco Bell copycat theme, I used shredded lettuce, shredded vegan cheese, diced tomatoes and a homemade vegan chipotle sauce, all on flour tortillas.
How to Make Vegan Soft Potato Tacos
Making the Crispy Potatoes
Cut potatoes into small bite-sized pieces.
Place in a bowl and cover with water–let sit 30 minutes and then strain, rinse and gently pat dry.
To a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, the potatoes and the spices.
Mix well and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on most sides–this may take some time but it’s worth it!
Serving Homemade Spicy Potato Tacos
The best way to serve these tacos is on tortillas with the works.
I used shredded lettuce, shredded vegan cheese, diced tomatoes and a simple homemade vegan chipotle sauce (recipe coming soon!).
You can also use salsa or your favorite sauce of choice! Try this recipe with my Homemade Vegan Tortillas!
The potatoes for the tacos can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for about five days. They heat up best back on the stove with a little oil, but you can use the microwave as well. Assemble tacos immediately before enjoying!
This recipe is:
- Perfect for Meal Prep
Try these other tasty vegan recipes!
Pin this for later!
- 2 Pounds Potatoes
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Shredded Vegan Cheese
- Salsa or Sauce of Choice
- Cut potatoes into small bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl and cover with water--let sit 30 minutes and then strain, rinse and gently pat dry.
- To a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, the potatoes and the spices. Mix well and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on most sides--this may take some time but it's worth it!
- Serve on tortillas with toppings of choice!
*You can also add beans, fried tofu or tempeh, or any other toppings you'd like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 633mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g