We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: November 28, 2022)
Healthy Vegan Tofu Quesadilla Recipe
This homemade tofu quesadilla recipe is so filling and delicious you’ll never know it’s vegan and healthy!
It’s packed with turmeric-lime tofu, mushrooms, tomatoes and vegan cheese (you can also add onions or spinach if you’d like).
This vegan tofu quesadilla is best served with plenty of fresh guacamole, salsa and chopped cilantro.
Dairy Free Vegetarian Cheese Quesadillas
Vegan quesadillas are one of my favorite things to make for a quick and hearty meal. They’re so easy to put together and are filled with veggies and protein, while still being so comforting and filling.
Making anything vegan these days is so simple, thanks to all the vegan cheeses and alternatives available!
Tofu is also such a great meat alternatives for vegans, vegetarians and those participating in meatless Mondays – it’s very high in protein and absorbs all the flavor of whatever you cook it in.
Be sure you have extra-firm tofu or else it may break apart while cooking, and I just find it to be the tastiest!
Making Easy Veggie Quesadillas
Preparing the Tofu
This simple recipe is made in two parts: prepping your tofu and veggies and then assembling them all inside a warm crispy tortilla.
In order to make this dish as quickly as possible, start pressing the tofu first.
This can be done with a tofu press, or by draining and wrapping your tofu in a towel, placing something heavy on top for at least 15 minutes.
It might look a little crazy (and mine have fallen over a few times), so I’d recommend the tofu press to save time!
It’s super important to press your tofu so that it holds its shape, absorbs tons of flavor and gets nice and brown!
After your tofu is pressed, cut it into cubes and cook it over medium heat in a pan – add some oil to avoid sticking and to help it crisp up.
If you want this recipe to be oil free, you can use a tiny splash of water or veggie stock in the pan, but I do recommend a bit of oil for texture and taste.
Cook, flipping the tofu occasionally until all sides are lightly browned. DI like to add the turmeric about 10 minutes in, and the lime juice during the last 2 minutes or so – this helps it still have a fresh taste.
Cooking Mushroom Tomato Tofu Quesadillas
Once your tofu is cooked, set the pan aside off of the heat.
In another pan, cook your mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and spices until soft. I recommend gently squishing the tomatoes after they are cooked to avoid burns – you may get a bit too much moisture in the pan but just drain this out.
Assembling Your Tofu Quesadilla
Now that all your ingredients are ready, take a flat pan and heat it over medium heat.
Add a drizzle of oil and place the tortilla down. On 1/2 of the tortilla add all your ingredients: some vegan cheese, the tofu, veggies and lime, and a bit more vegan cheese to hold everything together.
Flip the empty side over the ingredients and press down with a spatula. I like to add a pot cover over the quesadilla to help the cheese melt while it’s cooking.
Once that side is browned and crispy, flip it and cook until the other side is as well. That’s it!
This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
Pin this for later! 🙂
For more vegan meal ideas, try these:
- 1 Block Extra-Firm Tofu
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 2 Limes
- 10 oz Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1-1 1/2 Cup Shredded Vegan Cheese
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- Cilantro to top
- Press as much water out of your tofu as possible using a tofu press or by wrapping it in a towel and placing something heavy on top for at least 15 minutes. Then chop into cubes.
- Slice mushrooms and set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, add a small drizzle of oil and add tofu cubes. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until most edges are browned, turning every 3-5 minutes, adding in turmeric and a dash of salt about 10 minutes in and lime juice for the last 2 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and spices (except turmeric) to another pan and cook over medium heat until soft. I like to squish the tomatoes so they are not super hot.
- In the same pan, add another drizzle of oil to help the tortilla brown and place tortilla down, on only 1/2 of the tortilla add a sprinkle of vegan cheese and assemble tofu, tomatoes and mushrooms and a squeeze of lime juice. Sprinkle a final layer of vegan cheese and flip the other side of the tortilla over.
- Press down, flipping in a few minutes when that side is brown*, until cheese is melty and both sides are brown. Top with guacamole, salsa or cilantro, enjoy!
*I like to cover my tortillas as they cook - this helps to melt the vegan cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486