We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: January 30, 2022)
This blog post is sponsored by Jack & Annie’s, all opinions are mine alone.
Vegan Breakfast Casserole Recipe
This simple, cheesy vegan breakfast casserole is so comforting and easy to make!
It’s made with a homemade vegan cheese sauce, hash browns, veggies and vegan sausage.
While this casserole is egg free and dairy free, it still has all the texture and flavor you expect from a warm baked casserole.
Packed with flavor and extra veggies, this is also perfect for making ahead of time and simply baking in the morning!
- Jack & Annies Breakfast Sausage Links – I love these maple vegan sausages!
- Hash Browns – I used frozen and let them thaw while I made the cheese sauce.
- Zucchini, Mushrooms & Red Pepper – Use any veggies you like, these are my favorites!
- Onion & Garlic – The best flavor base to any casserole.
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese – Any vegan cheese brand you like, I used Follow Your Heart.
- Plant Milk – Any unsweetened, unflavored plant milk.
- Vegetable Broth – You can use low sodium, I just used regular.
- Vegan Butter – I like the Country Crock plant butter sticks!
- All-Purpose Flour – To add thickness, you can also substitute for a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Nutritional Yeast – This adds an extra cheesy flavor and also a yellow color.
- Salt/Pepper – To taste.
Cheesy Vegan Hash brown Casserole
Whether you’re meal prepping for busy week day mornings, or bringing a dish to share, this casserole is the perfect recipe.
I’ve also served this recipe to non-vegans and had nothing but raving reviews!
Cheesy potato casserole isn’t something you have to give up on even if you’re dairy free!
It’s also made using Jack & Annie’s Breakfast Sausage Links which are made with a base of jackfruit and spices. They are the perfect meatless alternative for that extra sweet and savory flavor and the perfect texture – I especially love the maple flavor!
I’ve been dairy-free for over six years now, but nothing will stop me from enjoying all the delicious cheesy vegan recipes I know and love!
If you’re into cheese as much as I am, try my Vegan Spinach Quiche, Vegan Mac n’ Cheese, Vegan Scalloped Potatoes or Vegan Lasagna (with tofu ricotta) too!
How to Make Vegan Breakfast Bake
Homemade Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
This recipe is ready in two simple steps, make the cheese sauce and then mix with hash browns and bake!
The cheese sauce starts with a vegan butter and flour roux, then gets plant based milk, veggie broth and vegan cheese added to make it nice and thick.
Then I add a little nutritional yeast for extra cheesiness.
It also has plenty of veggies and some vegan sausage links!
Once thickened, you stir in the hash browns and your casserole is ready to bake.
Baked Eggless Casserole
Pour your mixture into a greased 9×13 pan and then bake until golden brown!
Once it cools a bit it will cut into square slices very easily and hold its shape.
I liked to serve mine with chopped cilantro, but you can also add avocado slices, hot sauce or vegan sour cream!
HOW TO STORE VEGAN CASSEROLE?
This breakfast casserole can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
CAN I MAKE THIS CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes – you can prepare the cheesy sauce a few days before and simply mix with slightly thawed hash browns and bake!
This is one of my favorite parts of this recipe – it’s so easy to make ahead of time and just throw in the oven!
CAN I ADD TOFU OR TEMPEH FOR AN EXTRA PROTEIN BOOST?
Absolutely – if you’d like to add either of these (if using tofu, use firm or extra-firm and press it first), cut them into small pieces and add along with the veggies.
I love pairing this recipe with some homemade Fluffy Vegan Pancakes, Vegan French Toast, Tofu Scramble or some homemade Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts!
Another yummy breakfast potato recipe I love is my Vegan Breakfast Hash – there’s no better way to start your day than with potatoes!
This breakfast casserole is:
- Easy to Make
- Cheesy and Comforting
- Made with Simple Ingredients
- Great for Meal Prepping or the Whole Family
- Dairy-Free & Egg-Free
- Packed with Delicious Flavor!
See this Store Locator to find Jack & Annie’s Products Near You!
Vegan Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns
This easy and cheesy vegan breakfast casserole with hash browns is filled with potatoes, veggies and vegan sausage. So easy and delicious!
- 6 Jack & Annies Breakfast Sausage Links
- 30 oz. Frozen Hash Browns
- 1 Zucchini, diced
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Red Pepper, cored & diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz. Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 Cups Plant Milk (any unsweetened & unflavored)
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 6 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Remove hash browns from freezer to thaw a bit. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the vegan butter, onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes until softened and fragrant, stirring often.
- Add the zucchini, sausage, mushrooms and red pepper, cook 5-6 minutes or until softened, stirring often.
- Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, to remove the raw flour taste.
- Add the plant milk, vegetable broth, vegan cheese, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer, then simmer for 8-10 minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove cheese sauce from heat and stir in hash browns. Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and evenly spread out, then cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 25. If desired you can broil during the last few minutes to add more color, but watch very closely as it can burn in seconds if not properly watched.
*Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, avocado slices, hot sauce or dairy-free sour cream!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 706mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
13 thoughts on “Vegan Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns”