We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: February 1, 2022)
Easy Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts
These homemade vegan strawberry pop tarts are crisp, sweet, fruity and completely made from scratch.
They are easy to make, just the right amount of sweet and so delicious.
Homemade pop tarts are sure to remind you of your childhood and take you right back to early breakfast mornings!
It’s been awhile since I’ve had a good strawberry pop tart because most store-bought ones have eggs or dairy in them.
That’s why I’m so pleased to share these homemade vegan ones with you!Back when pop tarts were a daily part of my life, I always loved the strawberry ones most of all.
They were so pretty with the white frosting and rainbow sprinkles, along with the bright red strawberry jam inside!
These pop tarts are everything you miss about the treat and more.
These homemade versions are almost a mix between a pop tart and a toaster strudel, something in the middle but more pop-tart-like!
You’re going to love them!
Homemade Frosted Pop Tart Recipe
I considered making a red frosting by either dying the white or adding some of the extra jam to color it.
But I couldn’t resist making them look like how they did when I was a kid, with the signature white frosting and sprinkles!
However you choose to frost them (or leave out the frosting for a lower-sugar treat!), these pop tarts are so fun and easy to make.
The dough is very easy to work with and the filling comes together in no time, it’s so much fun to make these in the kitchen!
I just love the look of the sprinkles with the strawberries, and it’s always great to serve the pop tarts along with some fresh ones to enhance all the flavors!
They are such a cute, sweet treat for any of your family or friends, or just a way to treat yourself.
How to Make Vegan Pop Tarts from Scratch
Preparing the Pie Dough
To make these easy pop tarts, start by making your crust by mixing the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.
Add the chilled and cubed vegan butter and cut it in with a pastry cutter or a couple forks (the forks will take a bit longer and are trickier to achieve the same texture, but they work in a pinch!), until the mixture has a sandy texture.
Then add a tablespoon of water to your vanilla extract and pour it into the dough, adding 1-2 more tablespoons of water as needed to get it to come together as you mix.
I used my hands towards the end.
Then wrap it and stick it in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to chill.
Making the Strawberry Jam Filling
While you wait for your crust to chill, start on the filling since it will need to cool before you fill the pop tarts!
Simply add the fresh strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a pan over medium heat and bring to a soft boil.
Reduce heat to low and add the cornstarch and water mixture and mix well, using a potato masher to crush the strawberries into a jam along the way.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened and fragrant, then remove from heat to cool completely!
Filling and Sealing the Pop Tarts
After your dough has chilled, let it sit on the counter for 10 minutes.
This helps it be easier to roll out without cracking.
Then flour a flat surface and place the dough down, adding another sprinkle of flour on top and to a rolling pin.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle that’s 12” by 9” for 4 1/2 pop tarts (I think the mini pop tart is cute!), or or 16” by 6” for 4 slightly thicker ones.
I like to make this as even as possible with sharp edges for the best looking pop tarts.
Using a ruler, measure out 3″ by 4″ rectangles, making sure you have an equal number unless you are making the mini pop tart version.
Place half on a baking tray covered in parchment paper and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Add 2 tablespoons of the cooled strawberry filling (this will look like a lot, but they don’t have to be perfect and the filling tends to shrink a bit during baking, so a little extra is good.
Dip your finger in cold water and run along the edges, adding the second piece of dough on top and gently squishing down, then sealing with a fork around the edges.
Baking and Frosting Vegan Pop Tarts
At this point poke a few larger holes on the tops and brush a little plant milk on each of the pop tarts.
Bake for 28-32 minutes or until golden brown (if you see the filling bubbling or coming through the top a bit that’s also a good sign they’re done too), taking the mini one out about 5-7 minutes earlier if making.
Let the pop tarts cool completely and then mix together your frosting.
Drizzle over the top and use a spoon to cover the entire center.
Then add some sprinkles if you’d like and you’re all done!
You can enjoy them immediately or wait a few minutes until the frosting sets more.
Best Dairy Free Pop Tarts Ever
These easy pop tarts are such a fun and simple recipe to make anytime of the day!
If you have one, you can also use a large food processor to make the dough and speed up the process of cutting in the butter.
This is a great way to save time and deal with less mess, but even as a full time food blogger I have still somehow avoided getting one!
I think I’m just such a fan of doing everything by hand.
Not only is it just so fun, I think it makes the process that much more special to add in that extra love and do things the old fashioned way!
But absolutely feel free to use one! I’ll get one in my kitchen one of these days!
This recipe is:
- From Scratch
Try these other vegan baked goods!
Pin this for later!
For the Crust
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Vegan Butter, chilled & cubed
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2-3 Tbsp Cold Water
For the Filling
- 10 oz. Fresh Strawberries
- 6 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Cornstarch + 2 Tsp Water
For the Frosting
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Plant Milk
- Plant Milk to Top
- Rainbow Sprinkles
- Mix flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, add chilled and cubed vegan butter and cut in with a pastry cutter or a couple forks until the mixture has a sandy texture.
- Add a tablespoon of water to the vanilla extract and pour in, mixing until the dough comes together, and adding more water as needed, no more than 1-2 tbsp extra. I used my hands towards the end.
- Wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 30-60 minutes.
- To make the filling, remove the tops of the strawberries and chop the berries into small pieces. Add to a pan over medium heat with the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a soft boil.
- Reduce heat to low and add the mixed cornstarch and water mixture, using a potato masher to crush the strawberries into a jam along the way.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened and fragrant, then remove from heat to cool completely.
- Once dough is chilled, let it sit out for 10 minutes so it's workable and so it won't crack as much when you roll it out. Then flour a flat surface and place the dough down, adding another sprinkle of flour to the top and to a rolling pin.
- Roll out into a rectangle that's 12'' by 9'' for 4 1/2 pop tarts, or or 16'' by 6'' for 4. I like to make this as even as possible with sharp edges for the best looking pop tarts (see recipe video for example).
- Using a ruler, cut out 3'' by 4'' pop tarts, just being sure there is an even number or else you will have a mini one (which I think are cute! Just bake it about 5-7 minutes shorter until it's golden brown).
- Add half to a baking tray covered in parchment paper and add 2 tablespoons of the strawberry filling to the middle of each, it's okay if they are a little messy. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.*
- Dip your finger in some cold water and run along the edges, placing the second piece of dough on top and pressing down. Seal with a fork around the edges and then poke a few large holes on the top.
- Brush some plant milk on top if desired and bake for 28-32 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to fully cool and then mix together frosting and drizzle over, adding rainbow sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
*Some of the filling does tend to shrink while baking, so it's good to slightly overfill them.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 Pop Tart
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423