We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: September 17, 2021)
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
This easy vegan shepherd’s pie is so quick and easy to put together!
It’s warming, comforting, packed with protein and full of veggies.
Filled with lentils and tons of flavor, and not to mention topped with creamy mashed potatoes!
You’re going to love this simple comfort food that is totally vegetarian and vegan.Shepherd’s pie is such a delicious and wholesome meal.
It’s also incredibly easy to make vegan thanks to some vegan butter and dairy-free milk.
A sprinkle of flour also helps bind the filling together and make for an overall hearty and filling meal!
Shepherd’s Pie with Lentils and Vegetables
There’s so many options when it comes to making shepherd’s pie, you can really fill it with anything you have on hand!
For me, I like to keep things simple and healthy – using some lentils and some mixed frozen veggies.
Of course you can always use fresh vegetables, but when you’re tight on time or just want something fuss-free, frozen are a great choice.
I love the mashed potato topping on this pie, it not only looks delicious but adds so much flavor and texture along with the filling.
Mashed potatoes are also just the best comfort food you can make!
I topped mine off with some fresh parsley and a sprinkle more of dried thyme and pepper.
How to Make Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Making the Potato Topping
To start making this easy shepherd’s pie, start by chopping your potatoes, with the skins on, into bite-sized cubes.
Toss into a large bowl and cover with water.
Bring to a boil over medium high heat and then reduce to low.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and can be easily poked through with a fork!
Making the Lentil Veggie Filling
While your potatoes cook, you can start on the filling.
Add the olive oil, minced garlic and chopped onion to a large, high-walled pan over medium heat.
Cook for a bout five minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
Then add in the flour and cook another minute or two, stirring frequently.
Then add the dry lentils, veggie broth, vegetables, paprika, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and stir well.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender – then stir in the tomato paste (the lentils won’t cook as well if you add the tomato paste before this step) and set aside.
Go back to your cooked potatoes and drain them well, then add them to a large bowl (you may want to let them cool for a bit).
Add the vegan butter, plant milk, salt and pepper to taste and mash with a potato masher until creamy.
Baking Shepherd’s Pie
Add your filling to a large casserole dish, and then scoop the mashed potatoes on top.
Spread them out evenly over the filling.
Now use a fork to make some criss-cross designs on the top if desired.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
You can also broil for the last couple minutes if you want more color, just be sure to watch it very carefully so it doesn’t burn!
Let the pie cool for at least ten minutes and then enjoy – it will set more as it cools.
Homemade Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie
This yummy homemade shepherd’s pie recipe is perfect for chilly fall nights.
I also love making it when family and friends come over, and it’s even perfect for the holidays as the main dish!
This dish is an easy crowd-pleaser for all eaters!
This recipe is:
Check out these other easy vegan meals:
Pin this for later!
Vegan Shepherd's Pie Recipe
The best ever vegan shepherd's pie recipe that's comforting, delicious and easy to make. Full of protein and topped with mashed potatoes!
For the Filling
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 1/2 Cups Mixed Veggies (I used frozen)
- 1 Cup Dry Lentils
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
For the Topping
- 2 Pounds Potatoes (approx. 4 cups)
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Butter
- 3/4 Cup Plant Milk
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- Chop potatoes with skins on and add to a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, approx. 15-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, Add the oil, minced garlic and chopped onion to a large pan with high walls over medium heat.
- Cook about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent, then add the flour and cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, mixed veggies, paprika, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low to simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Add the tomato paste* and mix well, set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a bowl (you may want to let them cool for a few minutes).
- Add the vegan butter, plant milk, salt and pepper to taste and mash with a potato masher.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the lentil mixture to a large casserole dish, then scoop the potato mixture on top.
- Spread the potato mixture out evenly and make criss-cross designs using a fork.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until golden on top - you can also broil towards the end to get more color, just be sure to watch it very carefully so it doesn't burn.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes and then enjoy! It will set more as it cools.
*The lentils will not cook properly if you add the tomato paste before this step.
**Can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 4 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 1080mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 11g
15 thoughts on “Vegan Shepherd’s Pie Recipe”
Looks so delicious, and I love that I usually have all these ingredients on hand! Such a great recipe for the cooler weather ahead 😉
Thank you! 🙂
Wow! Love that it was vegan and it has great flavors, thank you for sharing! Making again soon
Thanks so much!
A great recipe for when our friends visited. They loved it and so did we.
So happy you liked it!! 🙂
Great recipe with a lot of good tips for making sure it comes out right. Thanks so much!
How comforting does this look?! Can’t wait to try it!