We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: September 17, 2021)
Best Vegan Pot Pie Recipe
This tasty vegan pot pie recipe has a thick and hearty filling and a buttery puff pastry topping!
The perfect warming comfort food that is a classic veggie-based version of chicken pot pie.
This pot pie has mixed vegetables, potatoes, mushrooms and herbs for a flavorful filling.
You’ll love this vegetarian version of such a classic recipe!This vegetarian pot pie recipe is the perfect meal on a cold night.
It warms you up and is packed with herb flavors, letting the vegetables become the stars of this dish.
Vegetarian Pot Pie with Puff Pastry
I love using store-bought puff pastry for pot pies!
Most brands are vegan and it is a super convenient way to top your pot pie, and they’re also delicious and buttery.
I also opted for frozen veggies in this recipe – you can use fresh but I always love a quick and easy alternative on busy nights.
Sometimes simple things are the best – baking vegetables, mushrooms and potatoes with delicious herbs is more than enough to pack this pie with flavor and comfort.
How to Make Vegan Pot Pie
Preparing the Vegetable Filling
To make this tasty vegan pot pie, start by letting your puff pastry thaw on the counter for 40 minutes (I used store bought frozen puff pastry – just be sure to check that the brand is vegan!).
In a large pan over medium heat, add the vegan butter until it melts and then toss in the chopped onion.
Cook for 2 minutes and then add the minced garlic for another minute.
Add the diced potato and cook for 3-5 minutes until soft when poked with a fork.
To speed this up, I like to add a splash of water and then cover the pan to let them steam a bit.
Add in the mixed veggies (I used a combination of carrots, peas and green beans, using frozen vegetables really speeds up this dish!) and the mushrooms.
Cook for 3-4 minutes and then sprinkle in the flour.
Stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes.
Now pour in the vegetable broth, plant milk (I used almond), herbs, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast if using.
Give it a good mix and let it come to a light boil.
Then reduce heat to low and let it cook for 5-8 minutes until thickened, then remove from heat.
Assembling and Topping with Puff Pastry
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 13×9 pan with non-stick spray.
Pour in the pot pie filling and evenly spread out.
Now, take your thawed puff pastry (be sure to just let it thaw for 40 minutes until it’s workable, you don’t want it to get too warm), and roll it out into a 14 by 10 inch rectangle.
Roll it onto the rolling pin and then evenly unroll it over the pan.
Tuck the edges under to evenly top the filling, and then use a fork to seal all around the edges.
Cut a few slits in the middle and then brush on some plant milk to help it brown.
Baking with Vegan Pot Pie
Bake for 27-33 minutes, or until nicely golden brown all over with a bubbly filling.
If the edges start to brown faster than the center, you can carefully take it out and cover the edges with aluminum foil before placing back inside to finish baking.
Just be very careful not to burn yourself on the hot pan!
Let the pie cool for a few minutes and then enjoy! The filling will thicken more as it cools as well.
Easy Homemade Vegetable Pot Pie
This is the easiest and tastiest way to make a completely vegan pot pie, without compromising on flavor!
This recipe is perfect to serve to guests and it heats up great as a meal prep option.
I always love a good hearty, fuss-free dinner recipe, and this one does not disappoint!
This recipe is:
Check out these other hearty vegan meals!
Pin this for later!
Vegan Pot Pie Recipe
The best ever vegan pot pie recipe with a thick and hearty filling and crisp puff pastry top. The ultimate vegetarian comfort food!
- 2 1/2 Cups Mixed Vegetables (I used frozen)
- 1 Medium Potato
- 1 Onion
- 8 oz. Mushrooms
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1 3/4 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Plant Milk + more to top
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Tsp Dried Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry (I used store bought)
- Let the puff pastry thaw on the counter for 40 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the vegan butter.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes, then add the minced garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the diced potato and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes (you can add a splash of water and cover the pot to help speed this up).
- Add the mixed veggies and sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, plant milk, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and mix well. Bring to a light boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-8 minutes until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 13x9 pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pan. Roll out puff pastry to 14 by 10 inches, roll onto the rolling pan and then unroll evenly over the pan.
- Fold the edges under and seal with a fork all the way around.
- Cut a few slits in the center and then brush on some plant milk.
- Bake for 27-33 minutes or until golden brown* all over with a bubbly filling.
*If the edges start to brown faster than the center, carefully remove the pan from the oven, cover the edges with aluminum foil (very carefully!) and then place back into the oven.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 453mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g
10 thoughts on “Vegan Pot Pie Recipe”
This was absolutely amazing. Thank you for sharing this recipe and sure to become a family favorite.
Thanks so much! 🙂
This dish is superior. All the healthy veggies, delicious and creamy filling and crispy crust of the top. Perfect treat and festive dish.
Thanks so much!!
Yum! I love all those vegetables in the filling. Sounds absolutely amazing paired with that puff pastry crust.
Thank you! 🙂
pot pie is my ultimate comfort food! love that it’s meatless.
Mine too! 🙂
Yummy! This looks so delicious and tasty! Perfect for dinner tomorrow night! So excited!
Thanks so much!! 🙂