We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: November 21, 2021)
Easy Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe
This super creamy and delicious vegan chickpea curry is amazing!
It’s easy to make, incredibly comforting and ready in no time.
The sauce is packed with flavors of onion, garlic and ginger, as well as warm spices concentrated in curry paste.
It’s served with lime juice and cilantro for extra fresh flavors and is the ultimate comfort food!
This is not an authentic recipe, but simply my take on the delicious meal!This simple recipe for vegan curry is anything but bland and is always my go-to dish anytime of the year.
It’s the perfect budget friendly meal for busy nights that’s ready in under 30 minutes, and is great for meal prep too!
The true secret to a good homemade curry is you must thicken the sauce.
Whether you use cornstarch or flour (notes on how to use either in this post), you can a thick sauce that’s not runny, so don’t skip this part!
Yellow Vegan Curry Recipe Vegetarian
The sauce is what makes this vegan curry recipe irresistible.
It has a base of onion, ginger, garlic and pepper, and really gets packed with flavor from some curry paste.
The coconut milk adds tons of creaminess as well as a hint of sweetness.
Then a pinch of brown sugar and soy sauce adds even more depth and richness to vegan curries.
Topped with some squeezed lime juice and chopped cilantro, which adds freshness and flavor that brings this vegetarian curry recipe to the next level.
You can serve it over rice, quinoa or with some naan bread as well!
Vegan Curry Ingredients:
- Chickpeas – You can also use tofu, toss it in after pressing it or lightly fry it before hand for a bit of texture!
- Full-Fat Coconut Milk – This is a necessity, the full-fat creaminess is what makes this curry.
- Curry Paste – This adds tons of flavor without needing to use all sorts of spices, perfect for busy nights.
- Onion, Garlic, Ginger – These are the base to any good curry, and fresh is always the way to go.
- Soy Sauce – This adds a slight salty flavor and some overall depth.
- Olive Oil – Lightly frying the onion, garlic and ginger packs the curry with flavor.
- Brown Sugar – Just a sprinkle helps to balance the spicy flavors in this dish.
- Cornstarch – You can also substitute flour, you’ll just need to add it in with the onion, garlic and ginger and cook it for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour flavor.
- Salt/Pepper – Add to taste.
- Fresh Lime Juice – Another necessity to any good curry is a splash of citrus.
- Fresh Cilantro – You can add some to the curry while cooking as well, but be sure to serve it fresh on top.
How to Make Vegan Curry with Chickpeas
Making the Curry Sauce Base
This recipe is super simple to make, but you must add things in a certain order to get the perfect textures and flavors.
To make this easy vegan yellow curry, prepare your ingredients by chopping the onion, mincing the garlic and ginger, and cutting the pepper into slices.
Now, add the chopped onion and olive oil to a large pan over medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often until translucent.
Add the minced ginger and garlic and cook for 2 minutes (add the flour now without the water as well if using instead of cornstarch), continue stirring often as you add the remaining ingredients.
Add the sliced pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
Adding the Curry Paste and Coconut Milk
Add the curry paste and mix well to evenly distribute.
Add the drained chickpeas and coconut milk and cook for 5-8 minutes until thickened.
Thickening and Serving Curry Sauce
Remove from heat and slowly add the cornstarch mixture while stirring, and then return to heat and add the brown sugar, soy sauce and salt and pepper as needed.
Stir everything together and let simmer for a minute or two to finish, then it’s done!
Serve over rice with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro for the best vegetarian yellow curry ever!
Best Homemade Chickpea Curry Recipe
I love making this homemade recipe for vegan curry just about every week!
It also has pantry-friendly ingredients so I can just keep it on hand for whenever I want it.
It’s a great recipe for using up any other veggies that are about to go bad, just toss them in with the pepper!
Storing Homemade Vegan Curry:
- Curry keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Finished curry can be frozen for up to 2-3 months – let it thaw in the fridge overnight before heating up to eat.
This vegan curry recipe is:
Check out there other delicious vegan comfort foods:
Pin this for later!
- 1 15 oz. Can Chickpeas
- 1 15 oz. Can Full-Fat Coconut Milk
- 3 Tbsp Curry Paste
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch dissolved into 3 Tbsp Water*
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Fresh Lime (to serve)
- Fresh Cilantro (to serve
- Prepare the ingredients by chopping the onion, mincing the garlic and ginger and cutting the pepper into slices.
- Add the chopped onion and olive oil to a large pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often as you add the remaining ingredients.
- Add minced garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes. Add sliced pepper and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and mix well, then add the drained chickpeas and coconut milk and cook for 5-8 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and slowly add in the cornstarch mixture, stirring in between, and then return to heat and add the brown sugar, soy sauce and salt and pepper as needed and mix well.
- Let simmer for another minute or two and it is ready.
- Serve over rice with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.
*You can also use 1 1/2 tbsp of flour instead without the water, but you'll need to stir it in when you cook the ginger and garlic and be sure it cooks at least 1-2 minutes to remove that raw flour taste.
*This curry is even better the next day as all the ingredients marinate!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 505mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 8gSugar: 9gProtein: 11g