We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Easy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
This simple vegan scalloped potatoes recipe is so delicious and creamy!
It tastes just like the real thing, made with some easy alternatives like vegan cheddar, vegan butter and coconut milk.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you, it’s perfect for the holidays or just as a savory side dish!
Cheesy Non-Dairy Scalloped Potatoes
This recipe was a bit tricky to nail, I wanted to get the texture just right but without the dairy.
It’s just thick enough and super creamy with tons of flavor from some herbs.
You’re going to love this recipe, and if you’re serving it to guests they won’t believe it’s non-dairy!
I garnished mine with a few green onions and it turned out just perfect.
The pop of color makes the presentation even more beautiful along with the golden brown color too!
How to Make Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
Making the Cheesy Sauce
Making the cheesy sauce for these scalloped potatoes is easier than you might think!
Start by melting your butter in a pan over medium heat, and add your garlic to cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
Add in the flour and whisk constantly for 1 minute, then add the milk.
Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for about another minute or until it begins to thicken.
Then add in all your delicious vegan cheddar cheese and spices and stir until the cheese melts.
Depending on the brand of vegan cheese you use (I used the 365 Whole Foods Brand), the cheese may take a while to melt. It’s okay if there are some pieces still because it will finish melting in the oven!
Once it’s ready, set it aside and peel your potatoes, then chop them into slices. Chop your onion into slices as well.
Add a layer of potato to your lightly oiled or buttered casserole dish, followed by a layer of onions (to taste).
Add half the cheese sauce evenly, then another layer of potatoes.
Baking the Scalloped Potatoes
Add a final layer of cheese sauce and spread out evenly. I topped mine with a bit more dried thyme too.
Bake for 45 minutes covered, then remove the cover and continue baking for about 40-45 more minutes, or until it starts to brown.
Broil for a few seconds to get a nice golden brown, then carefully remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit because it will be very hot.
Serve with green onions!
Best Ever Baked Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped potatoes have always been a favorite of mine to enjoy over the holidays.
I really can’t wait to make this again and share it with my whole family!
Whether you’re dairy-free or just wanting to try something new, this is a perfect easy recipe for you!
This recipe is:
Try these other vegan comfort food recipes!
Pin this to try later!
- 4 Medium Potatoes
- 1/2 White Onion
- 1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
- 8 oz. Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk* (unsweetened)
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add vegan butter and minced garlic to a pan over medium heat. Cook until butter is melted and then continue cooking for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add flour and stir constantly with a whisk for 1 minute. Add milk and stir until thickened.
- Add cheese, nutritional yeast and spices and stir until cheese has melted then set aside.**
- Peel potatoes and chop into slices. Chop onion into slices.
- Lightly oil or butter a casserole dish. Add a layer of potatoe slices to the entire bottom, followed by a layer of sliced onions.
- Add half the cheese sauce and spread evenly.
- Add a final layer of potatoes and then spread out remaining cheese sauce.
- Top with more thyme if desired, cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake for 40-45 more minutes, broiling the last few seconds until it's a nice golden brown.
*I used coconut milk in a can because it's super creamy, but you can use anything you have.
**Depending on the brand of vegan cheese you use, it may take a while to fully melt. It's okay if there are some cheese pieces still because they will fully melt in the oven.