We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: March 26, 2023)
Vegan Orange Cake Recipe
This vegan orange cake is packed with so much fresh orange flavor in a light and fluffy loaf!
This recipe uses freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest to add tons of flavor and moisture to the cake.
This easy and delicious fruit cake is so easy to make in one bowl, and has the best flavor and texture that’ll have you baking it again and again!
Eggless Dairy Free Vanilla Orange Cake
This vanilla orange loaf recipe is perfect for birthday parties, holidays, picnics or anytime you need a fresh and fruity cake that looks as good as it tastes!
It’s also easy enough to make for a weeknight dessert – it’s in the oven in no time and then you can focus on other things, and just come back when it’s time to frost.
If you love this vegan loaf cake, try my Vegan Orange Olive Oil Cake, Vegan Strawberry Cake, Vegan Rosewater Cupcakes, Vegan Apple Bundt Cake, Vegan Pound Cake or Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes next!
- All-Purpose Flour – You can also substitute with a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend.
- Sugar – I used plain white sugar.
- Orange Juice & Zest – Fresh is best! If you can, try to use freshly squeezed juice and fresh zest, just use caution when zesting!
- Vegan Vanilla Yogurt – Any dairy-free brand will do, you can also use non-flavored.
- Oil – I used vegetable oil.
- Milk – I used almond, but any plant-based milk is fine!
- Vanilla – Pairs perfectly with the orange flavors.
- Baking Powder – To let the cake rise.
- Salt – To bring out all the flavors.
- Orange Vanilla Glaze – A simple mixture of powdered sugar, orange juice, vanilla and plant-based milk.
- Orange Syrup – This is optional but recommended for a super moist cake, just a bit of sugar and orange juice!
How to Make Cake with Fresh Oranges
Preparing the Cake Batter
This eggless orange cake batter comes together in one bowl.
You simply whisk the wet with the sugar until it’s dissolved and creamy, then add in the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
There’s no egg substitutes necessary for this recipe, the vegan yogurt and oil add all the binding and moisture you need!
Baking Vegan Loaf Cake
You’ll want to grease a 9×5 loaf pan with oil and then pour your batter in.
Then you wait: it’ll take a good 50 or so minutes to fully bake, but it will smell divine while you wait, too!
Adding Orange Syrup and Drizzle
Once baked, you’ll want to let it rest for about 10-15 minutes until it’s easier to handle.
Then you’ll flip it onto a cooling rack and poke some holes in the top with a skewer. Add a baking tray or something to catch any syrup drips underneath cooling rack.
Now, pour your sugar and orange juice “syrup” over the holes and let the cake fully cool with the added syrup adding more moisture inside!
Once the cake is fully cooled, you can whisk together your frosting, generously pour all over the top, and finish with orange zest if desired.
HOW CAN I STORE THIS ORANGE LOAF?
This loaf can be stored in an air-tight container for up to five days. If your home is especially warm, I would recommend keeping it in the fridge so the glaze does not melt.
WHAT KIND OF ORANGE ARE BEST FOR ORANGE CAKE?
Really any kind will do: naval, valencia, blood or seville are all delicious options.
I would recommend the highest quality you can find for the strongest orange flavor, so if you can spend a bit more for the nicest ones at your store, you won’t regret it!
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT FROSTING TO TOP THIS CAKE?
Absolutely! If you want a richer, thicker frosting on top, try my Vegan Vanilla Buttercream or Vegan Chocolate Buttercream!
Both flavors are great compliments to the orange flavor.
Baking with Oranges
I highly recommend using freshly squeezed orange juice for this recipe if you can, but if you’re in a pinch, you can use store-bought juice.
Orange juice adds so much wonderful flavor to baked loaves, and fresh zest adds an even stronger citrus flavor!
Just like my Vegan Lemon Loaf, Vegan Lemon Cake, and Vegan Lavender Lemon Cake, citrus flavors in sweet loaves are some of my favorite desserts – they are so bright, fresh and perfectly sweet, and fun to decorate and serve!
Vegan Orange Cake (One Bowl)
This zesty vegan orange cake recipe is filled with plenty of sweet citrus flavor! Made with a simple orange syrup and orange glaze on top!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice*
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Vanilla Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 Cup Almond Milk
- 2 Tbsp Orange zest + more to top
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp Almond Milk
Orange Syrup (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x5 loaf pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the orange juice, vegan yogurt, vanilla, oil, sugar, orange zest and plant milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour into prepared baking pan, bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean without any wet batter on it.
- Let cake cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, and then flip over onto a cooling rack. Place a baking tray underneath or something to catch any dripping syrup.
- If using, mix together orange syrup, poke a few holes in the cake with a skewer, and pour glaze all over cake and into poked holes.
- Allow to cool completely. Then, whisk together your glaze and pour generously all over the cake, followed by more orange zest if desired. Enjoy!
*Preferably fresh squeezed
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 137mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g
16 thoughts on “Vegan Orange Cake (One Bowl)”
This vegan orange cake is so delicious and easy to make! I love how it’s a one bowl recipe that doesn’t require any baking powder or eggs.
I just made this cake and WOW it is so good!! I didn’t use the optional syrup but I did use the glaze and found it perfectly sweet and orange flavored. The texture turned out perfect even though I swapped out the flour with gluten free all purpose flour. What a wonderful treat!! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!
I’ve made this orange loaf twice now and both times it’s been a big hit. Nobody knows it’s vegan unless I tell them; it’s just moist and delicious. The first time I made it, we felt the syrup was a bit too much, so the second time, I only made half the syrup to pour over the top, and that seemed just about right for us.
Thank you Fran! So glad it’s been a hit for you!