We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: July 3, 2022)
Best Vegan Lasagna Recipe
This delicious homemade vegan lasagna recipe is incredibly flavorful and easy to make!
It’s filled with a simple homemade ricotta, tempeh marinara sauce, spinach, fresh basil and dairy-free mozzarella!
It’s ready to go into the oven in under thirty minutes and is so simple and fun to layer and bake.
This is the ultimate vegan comfort food recipe, and it has no weird ingredients!Homemade vegan lasagna is so easy and tasty to make from scratch.
I love the cheesy layers of ricotta and mozzarella, as well as the texture from the tempeh “meat” sauce and the fresh spinach and basil.
I like to keep my lasagna simple, but you can always add in some mushrooms or zucchini with the sauce if desired!
Try my Homemade Vegan Ravioli next for more delicious pasta!
Easy Dairy Free Spinach Lasagna
This tasty recipe is not only dairy free and vegan, but it’s also super budget-friendly and perfect for serving up to twelve people!
There’s no better way to entertain a dinner party than a fresh tray of homemade lasagna and a salad on the side.
On the other hand, I often use this dish for meal prepping, it makes a lot of filling food that is even better the next day!
This creamy, cheesy and flavorful pasta dish is perfect any time of year, and it’s a great way to sneak in some greens too!
I love how the simple flavors of garlic, oregano, basil, olive oil and vegan cheese create such a delicious dish so easily.
Some of my favorite flavors all baked into a tasty comforting lasagna!
How to Make Vegan Lasagna from Scratch
Making the Homemade Ricotta
This recipe has just a few steps to prepare the ingredients, and then you just assemble and bake!
To prepare your simple tofu ricotta, start by pressing the tofu for fifteen minutes.
Then, add everything, except the basil, into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Pulse in the basil and then add mixture to a boil and stir in mozzarella.
Making the Marinara Sauce
For this recipe, I wanted to make a sort of “meat” sauce, and my go to is usually always tempeh!
Add the olive oil, chopped tempeh and oregano to a large pan over medium heat.
Cook for five to seven minutes, or until the tempeh is nice and golden brown, and crisp!
Add the garlic and cook another minute, then add the marinara sauce.
Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the water.
Preheat your oven now to 375 degrees F.
Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick spray and then add a cup of sauce and evenly spread out.
Assembling and Cooking Lasagna
Add a layer of no-boil lasagna noodles, slightly overlapping them.
Then add half of the homemade ricotta over the noodles and evenly spread out.
This may take a minute, but it will spread.
Just be careful the noodles do not move around, I usually hold them down a bit as I spread the cheese.
Add another layer of sauce (about a cup and a fourth), and then sprinkle over half the fresh spinach and a sprinkle of fresh basil.
I love tons of fresh basil in my lasagna!
Repeat this process for the next layer of noodles, cheese, sauce and spinach and noodles.
Then add the rest of the sauce, a final layer of noodles and sprinkle the vegan mozzarella on top, and more basil if desired.
Spray a large piece of aluminum foil with non-stick spray to make sure no cheese sticks to it, and then place it spray side down over the dish and securely cover.
Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and the pasta is tender and cooked when poked with a toothpick.
I like to take the aluminum foil off for the last ten minutes to get the cheese nice and melted.
Let it sit for fifteen minutes and then you can dig in!
Vegan Lasagne Ingredients with Tofu
It may sound strange, but using tofu as the base for the homemade ricotta is so delicious and convenient!
It absorbs all the flavors of lemon, olive oil, garlic, basil and nutritional yeast and has the perfect texture.
You can always use store-bought in a pinch, but I love this easy and more budget-friendly approach!
It also adds some protein along with the tempeh!
This recipe is:
- Easy to Make
Check out these other comforting vegan dishes!
Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Pin this for later!
Best Vegan Lasagna
This delicious vegan lasagna recipe has dairy-free ricotta, mozzarella, tempeh, spinach and fresh basil, all layered between tasty noodles!
- 16 oz. No-Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 50 oz. Marinara Sauce
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 8 oz. Tempeh, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1-2 Cups Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 2/3 Cup Water
- Fresh Basil
- 14 oz. Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 1 Cup Vegan Mozzarella
- Press tofu for at least 15 minutes. You can do this with a tofu press or by wrapping the tofu in a towel and placing something somewhat heavy on top.
- Add all tofu ricotta ingredients except the basil into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Add fresh basil and pulse just until combined, leaving some chunks.
- Add into a bowl and stir in mozzarella, set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, tempeh and oregano and mix well. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tempeh is golden brown and crisp, stirring often.
- Add garlic and cook for minute longer. Then add the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer, continue cooking for 5 minutes stirring often, then stir in water*.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with non-stick spray and add a cup of sauce to the bottom, evenly spread out.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add a layer of noodles, slightly overlapping them is fine, then add half of the ricotta mixture and evenly spread out - this may take a minute but it will spread, just be sure the noodles stay in place.
- Add another layer of sauce, approximately 1 1/4 cups, and evenly spread out. Add half of the spinach and sprinkle some fresh basil around the layer. Repeat this process with more noodles, the rest of the ricotta, sauce with spinach and basil, noodles and more sauce.
- Add the final layer of noodles and sprinkle the mozzarella on top, along with another sprinkle of fresh basil.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with non-stick spray and place spray side down to cover securely, then bake for 60-70 minutes, removing the aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes. You can check that it's done when the sauce bubbles around the edges and the noodles are cooked when poked with a toothpick.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes and then serve!
*Adding water to the sauce will help ensure the no-boil noodles cook correctly. They need enough moisture when baking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 810mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g
27 thoughts on “Best Vegan Lasagna”
Amazing! I followed the recipe as stated and it turned out great. The taste and texture was perfect for me. I definitely recommend trying this one.
Thanks!! So happy you liked it!
This looks so tasty, I wish I could dive in with the fork. You definitely wouldn’t be able to tell this lasagne is vegan!
Thanks so much!
I bet I wouldn’t even miss the meat! I love that this is loaded with homemade ricotta cheese and spinach (my favorite veggie) I can’t wait to make this next week!
Thank you, yay! 🙂
I doubt anyone would ever tell this lasagna is vegan – it looks absolutely amazing!
Thank you so much!