We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Sweet and Tart Vegan Lemon Cookies From Scratch
These easy lemon cookies are so ridiculously tasty, chewy and tangy.
Not overly sweet or sour, just the perfect blend all wrapped up in sugar-coated crinkle cookies!
Fresh lemon juice and zest make these cookies stand out from regular sugar cookies, and they are so much more fresh than store-bought.
When you’re looking for baked goods with citrus, making your own truly makes all the difference because the flavors are so much stronger and more delicious!
Simple and Healthy Lemon Cookie Recipe
Making this lemon cookie recipe is super simple, it’s really just a slight twist on my Vegan Sugar Cookie recipe, but with a bit less sugar and the perfect amount of fresh lemony flavor!
These also don’t require any chill time and have a bit of cream of tartar – this makes them a bit puffy and gives them a great chewy texture.
If you’re not into lemon, you could also totally substitute with orange, that would be a great fresh flavor to enjoy with the warmer weather!
Baking This Easy Lemon Cookie Dessert
To make these cookies, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 350 degrees and begin to cream your butter and sugar.
I used vegan buttery sticks and unprocessed cane sugar. If your butter is a bit too hard, microwave it for 10-15 seconds until it’s softened, but not melted, and mix it with the sugar with a whisk until creamy!
Mix in the vanilla, chia egg, lemon juice and zest to this mixture and set aside.
In a separate bowl combine all your dry ingredients, and slowly fold this mixture into your wet ingredients in increments.
Once you have your delicious cookie dough, there’s no need to let it chill. I like them to spread and crinkle a bit while baking!
Grab bits of the dough (roughly 2 tbsp. amounts), and roll them into balls with the palms of your hands.
Roll them in a shallow dish filled with cane sugar and then place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently squish them down to make a few cute crinkles!
Bake for 11-13 minutes – I took mine out when they were the slightest light brown on the bottom, but still mostly white, and loved the texture.
You’ll love these cookies for spring-time, when the weather starts warming up and you want to bake with fresh flavors!
I’ve also brought them for holiday gatherings, and they were a delicious addition to traditional holiday desserts like Gingerbread Muffins, so you can enjoy them all year long!
These lemon cookies are:
If you’re looking for more vegan cookie recipes, try my:
Pin this for later!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a bowl by combining with a whisk for a minute or two. If your vegan buttery is too hard, simply microwave it for about 10-15 seconds, just until it's soft, not melted. Add chia egg, vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Incorporate into wet ingredients in increments, gently mixing in between. Try not to over-work the dough.
- Once the dough is formed, grab two-tablespoon amounts, roll into balls and coat with more cane sugar.
- Place on a baking tray covered in parchment paper, and gently squish down. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the bottoms are a very slight light brown.
*To make a chia egg, combine 1 tbsp ground chia seeds with 2 tbsp water, stir and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes, or until it has gelatinized.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97