We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: September 30, 2021)
Easy Vegan Blueberry Scones Recipe
These easy vegan blueberry scones are so light and delicate, packed with a delicious vanilla-blueberry flavor!
The best treat to have with a cup of tea – I love having these scones any time of day!
Scones are one also baked good that you just have to enjoy right away in my opinion.
As they sit they tend to become more dense, and they are just so much more flavorful and soft the day of!
Light and Fluffy Berry Scones
Scones are one of my favorite baked goods to mix with berries – they are the perfect fluffy base for fruit and they complement each other so well.
I also love the way the blueberries color the scones as they bake, the color from the berries tends to come out and color the surrounding dough!
The light glaze is the perfect finish to these light, fruity scones, and adds just the right amount of sweetness.
The scones themselves don’t have a ton of sugar in them, so the berries and the light drizzle make them sweeter.
You can leave the glaze out for even less sugar, but I love the taste and the way it looks!
I also sometimes use lemon juice in place of the plant milk for the glaze, lemon and blueberry are always a great pair and you can even top the finished scones with lemon zest to bring out that flavor if you’d like!
The scones really puff up as they bake, thanks to a good bit of baking powder.
This makes the texture so irresistibly soft and airy, my favorite texture in a scone!
How to Make Vegan Blueberry Scones
Preparing the Scone Dough
Making this scone dough is super easy and you only need one bowl!
When you’re ready, start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F.
Then mix together your dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the chilled, cubed vegan butter and cut it in but mashing the butter into the dry ingredients (I recommend using a pastry cutter for this, but if you don’t have one you can also use a fork, it will just take a bit longer!).
Once the mixture has a sandy texture, add in the flax egg and vanilla, and just a splash of the milk. Mix until the dough comes together, but don’t add so much milk that it becomes sticky, just until there are no dry bits.
You may not need all the milk, but if it does become a bit sticky, just add a bit more flour until it’s more manageable.
Flour a flat surface and form the dough into a 1 inch thick circle, then cut it into 8 pieces like a pizza.
Arrange the scones on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper, then brush on some more plant milk to the tops to help them brown.
If you’re not using a glaze for this part, you can also sprinkle on some raw cane sugar for a nice sparkly effect at this point!
Icing and Serving Blueberry Scones
Bake the scones for 23-25 minutes, or until the bottoms begin to become a light golden brown.
You can also check them by inserting a toothpick into the center of a scone, if it comes out clean, they’re done!
Let them cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
Wait until the scones are almost completely cool to glaze them, they should be okay when they’re just slightly warm to touch but any warmer and the glaze will melt.
Once cooled, mix together your glaze and drizzle it over with a spoon or a piping bag, then you can dig in!
Best Ever Dairy Free Vanilla Blueberry Scones
These vegan blueberry scones the perfect fruity dessert, and I even have one for breakfast every now and then!
They are completely dairy-free, egg-free and ready in no time.
You can also replace the blueberries with any other berry, or chocolate chips too.
They can also be made plain with just the vanilla to flavor them as well, feel free to customize them to your liking!
As I said before, the scones are best eaten the day of, but you can keep them in an airtight container with a paper towel on the bottom for up to 3 days for best texture.
This recipe is:
Try these other vegan baked goods!
Pin this for later!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter (chilled, cubed)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Plant Milk + 2 tbsp for brushing tops
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Flax Egg*
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
For the Glaze
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp Plant Milk (or lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add chilled and cubed vegan butter and cut in using a pastry cutter or a fork.
- Once the mixture has a sandy texture, add the flax egg, vanilla and a splash of the plant milk. Mix and only add more milk until there are no more dry bits. You may not need all the milk - if the mixture becomes too sticky, add more flour until it's manageable and not sticky.
- Fold in blueberries and then flour a flat surface. Place the dough down and shape with your hands into a circle that is 1 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces like a pizza, then arrange pieces on a baking tray covered in parchment paper.
- Brush on plant milk** all over the tops of the scones.
- Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the bottoms become a light golden brown. You can also check them by inserting a toothpick into the middle of a scone, if it comes out clean they are ready!
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack. Once they are only slightly warm to touch, mix together your glaze and drizzle over scones. Enjoy!
*Mix together 1 tbsp of ground flax or chia seed and mix well with 3 tbsp water. Let sit for 10 minutes and use in place of an egg.
**Plant milk works fine for brushing, but if you have any canned coconut milk that works even better!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.