We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Vegan Baked Cauliflower Wings
These easy vegan cauliflower wings are crispy, sweet and savory, and so easy to make!
They are covered with a simple batter, baked to a crispy brown and brushed with BBQ sauce.
The perfect appetizer for vegans, vegetarians, or those wanting to try something new!
These are so tasty you will never look at cauliflower the same way again.This recipe takes me right back to ordering big baskets of wings at restaurants.
The crisp texture and sweet and savory flavor are so comforting and irresistible, and they’re completely meat-free!
My goal is always to create more allergen/vegan friendly versions of traditional foods, and these are spot on with flavor and texture.
Vegetarian BBQ Wings Recipe
To me, the best wings have to have a good crisp texture on the outside with a soft center.
More importantly, they have to have tons of flavor.
These wings get two waves of flavor from the batter filled with spices, as well as a generous brushing of BBQ sauce.
You can make your own or just buy store-bought, there are tons of vegan and low sugar options out there!
You can’t even tell these wings are made from cauliflower until you cut into them!
Feel free to top them with green onion or fresh parsley for a pop of color and extra flavor.
How to Make Cauliflower Wings
Prepping the Cauliflower and Batter
To make these easy cauliflower wings, start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees F.
Cut your head of cauliflower in half, and then break off medium-sized florets with your hand, removing the leaves and thick stem.
In a large bowl, mix together your dry ingredients and then add the plant milk and mix until smooth.
You want the batter to be thick, yet thin enough so that it will easily coat the florets evenly.
Add the cauliflower and mix until evenly coated, then add the breadcrumbs in two increments, gently stirring in between (be careful to mix gently and as little as possible, otherwise some of the breadcrumbs may start to clump, this doesn’t need to be perfect though).
Adding the BBQ Flavor
Arrange on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, remove and brush one cup of BBQ sauce onto all the florets (you can also flip and coat the other side, but I found doing one to be enough flavor and crisp).
Bake for 10-15 more minutes and then let cool for 5 minutes.
Brush on remaining BBQ sauce and then serve with dipping sauce of choice!
Best Vegan Cauliflower Wings Appetizer
Whether you’re hosting dinner or just looking for something tasty to make, these vegan cauliflower wings will not disappoint.
I love to serve these wings with my homemade vegan ranch dressing!
But feel free to browse the dressing section at the store, I’ve found vegan ranch, blue cheese and more at many stores.
This recipe is:
Check out these other delicious vegan recipes:
Pin this for later!
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 - 1 1/4 Cup Plant Milk
- 2/3 Cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups BBQ Sauce (I used low sugar)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop cauliflower in half, and break off medium sized florets with your hand, removing the leaves and thick stem (see video for reference).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Add the plant milk and mix until smooth - the mixture should be thick yet thin enough to coat the cauliflower easily.
- Add the cauliflower florets and mix well, coating each floret evenly.
- Add the breadcrumbs in two increments, gently stirring to coat evenly (try not to over mix or else some breadcrumbs may start to clump, this doesn't need to be perfect).
- Add to a baking tray covered in parchment paper, and bake for 15 minutes (keep the oven on).
- Remove from oven and brush on 1 cup of BBQ sauce, you can also flip them and coat the other side but I found one side to add enough flavor.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes minutes and then remove from oven.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then brush on remaining BBQ sauce. Serve immediately with dipping sauce of choice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 665mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 8g