We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MyCrockPotSummer #CrockPotRecipes #CollectiveBias
Vegan Tofu Lasagna With Spinach
This is the best vegan lasagna recipe EVER.
It has a super creamy tofu spinach ricotta and a quick homemade mushroom tomato sauce.
It’s also so easy to make – you just prepare the layers, assemble it in a Crock-Pot® Express 6-Quart Pressure Cooker or any slow cooker you have, turn it on and forget about it!
In about three hours you’ll have a perfectly slow cooked meal with so much flavor.
Best Vegetarian Mushroom Lasagna Recipe
There are three parts of lasagna that make it the ultimate pasta casserole: the herbed tomato sauce, melted cheese (fresh tofu ricotta is the best in my opinion) and large lasagna noodles.
For this recipe I added even more layers – vegan mozzarella, vegan parmesan, spinach, mushrooms and lots of fresh basil (which is so much better than dried, especially in slow cooked pastas like this one).
Not to mention it’s SUPER high in protein from the tofu and mushrooms, and completely free of dairy, but you’ll never be able to tell!
The slow cooker forms this lasagna into a big loaf and makes it really easy to serve – you can just cut it like a pie!
Once cut it will reveal layers and layers of cheesy, creamy and savory goodness.
Feel free to add some extra vegan parmesan and basil to the top!
Making One Pot Slow Cooker Lasagna
I love using a Crock-Pot® Express for this recipe because it cooks it perfectly, has it’s own timer and keeps all the wonderful flavors locked inside to marinate.
It’s the best choice for one-pot cooking and you can cook almost anything in it, and then just toss the pan in the dishwasher!
I’m also all about turn-it-on-and-forget-about-it recipes, especially during busy times when there’s really no other option.
Using a slow cooker helps you have a super flavorful meal without much effort, and you can even delay the cooking to have it ready just when you need it.
Preparing The Homemade Sauce And Tofu Ricotta
In order to minimize cooking time, start by pressing your tofu – do this by using a tofu press or by wrapping your tofu block in a towel and placing something heavy on top, for about 15 minutes. Soak your cashews in hot water for 15 minutes as well.
While waiting, add your chopped garlic and onion to a large pan over medium heat with a small splash of water. Cook for a few minutes until very fragrant and then add your mushrooms. Continue cooking for a couple minutes until mushrooms are soft.
Add the tomato puree, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes and then set aside off the heat.
Add your cashews, pressed tofu (broken into chunks), and the rest of your ricotta ingredients to a food processor and process until smooth and creamy (it will still be a bit thick like normal ricotta).
You can add a bit of water if needed to get it to blend, but add as little as possible.
My food processor was a little small so I did this in two batches and then just mixed the two together in a bowl. If you only have a blender, you can use that as well, but you may need to add more liquid to get it to blend which may result in a slightly runnier ricotta.
Assembling Your One Pot Lasagna
Now that you have everything prepared, it’s time to assemble and let it cook away!
Take your Crock-Pot® Express pan, and add a good layer of sauce to the bottom (about 1/2 inch). Then add a single layer of your lasagna noodles.
This can be tricky in a circular pan, but just do the best you can to cover the layer and not overlap noodles. Mine stayed together perfectly even though the layers were not perfect, so don’t stress about it!
Add more sauce, vegan mozzarella and more noodles. Add half of your tofu ricotta and spread it around carefully, trying not to move the noodles. Add more sauce and vegan mozzarella, followed by more noodles.
Add sauce, vegan mozzarella and noodles. Spread on your remaining tofu ricotta and more noodles.
Continue layering on sauce, vegan mozzarella, and noodles in that order until done. I added more vegan mozzarella to the top along with vegan parmesan and fresh basil.
Set your Crock-Pot® Express to high and time it for three hours. I found this to be the perfect amount of time for all the noodles to be cooked well and all the cheese to melt.
That’s it! Walk away and enjoy not having to worry about dinner, it will be perfectly cooked and hot when the timer goes off.
This would also be great to prepare in the morning and delay the timer so that it’s ready for dinner!
Look how amazing it looks after slow cooking for three hours!
I love using slow cookers because it allows all the different flavors to marinate, and the best part is you never have to check or stir it because it’s perfectly cooked every time.
This means less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying yourself!
This is the best vegan lasagna and it will easily serve eight people fairly large portions – it’s also very filling and would be great paired with some side veggies or a salad.
This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
More vegan pasta recipes:
Pin this for later!
- 1 Box Lasagna Noodles (12 oz.)
For The Sauce
- 2 28oz. Cans Tomato Puree
- 3-4 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- Salt/Pepper To Taste
For The Tofu Ricotta:
- 1 Package Extra-Firm Tofu
- 1 Cup Cashews, Soaked*
- Juice From 1 Lemon
- 1/2 - 1 Cup Fresh Spinach
- 1/3-1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/4-1/2 Tsp Salt
1. Start making the ricotta by lightly pressing your tofu (with a tofu press or by wrapping it in a towel and placing something heavy on top for at least 5-10 minutes), and soaking your cashews in hot water for at least 15 minutes until softened.
2. In the meantime, start your sauce: cook the onion and garlic over medium heat with a splash of water until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook until onion and mushrooms are soft.
3. Add tomato puree, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, then set aside off the heat.
4. Place your tofu, cashews and the rest of your ingredients in a food processor, and process until fully combined.** Set aside.
5. Take your Crock-Pot® Express and add a good layer of sauce to the bottom. Add a layer of lasagna noodles as well as you can in the circular shape (this won't be perfect, but just cover as much as you can without over-lapping the noodles if possible).
6. Add half of the tofu ricotta, more sauce, a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese, and more noodles. Add sauce, mozzarella cheese and more noodles.
7. Add the rest of the tofu ricotta, followed by sauce and mozzarella cheese. Continue adding noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese until done (be sure it doesn't go over the max line of the Crock-Pot® Express).
8. Finish the top off with vegan parmesan if desired and fresh basil.
9. Cook on high for about three hours or until cheese on top is melted and noodles are soft. Enjoy!
*Soak cashews in hot water for at least 15-20 minutes or until softened.
**If you have a small food processor, you may need to do this in two batches and then mix the two batches together in a bowl.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358