We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: July 15, 2020)
Easy Vegan Spinach Quiche Recipe
This vegan spinach and tomato breakfast quiche is such a classic and filling dish!
I’ve always loved how flavorful and delicious quiche is, and how many endless flavor combinations you can create.
Being vegan doesn’t mean you have to miss out on this dish, you just have to get a little creative!
This recipe is a super flavorful tofu-based quiche, filled with spices, spinach and some vegan cheddar to create a delicious protein-packed breakfast for your whole family.I added a generous sprinkle of vegan cheddar cheese and spinach to this quiche, but feel free to add as much or as little as you’d like. It will have very little impact on the texture of the quiche, as long as you keep within the recipe guidelines.
Depending on the type of cheese you use, you may want to add less salt – some cheese brands are a lot saltier than others so keep that in mind before adding your salt!
Spinach and Tomato Quiche with Homemade Crust
You could dice the tomatoes and sprinkle them into the quiche, but I just love how the sliced tomatoes look on top! They also get a nice flavor from being baked this way.
The filling is super delicious, but what really makes this recipe special is the combination with the homemade pie crust.
Pie crust is actually very easy to make and only requires four ingredients; the trick is all in the technique and adding as little moisture as possible while still being able to work with the dough.
Keep reading to learn how I make the perfect thick and flaky quiche crust!
Another trick to creating an irresistible quiche is to add some freshly cracked black pepper to the top right after it comes out of the oven. It adds so much flavor and makes it look great too!
How to Make Vegan Quiche
Making the Crust from Scratch
To make your deliciously flaky crust, start by mixing together the flour and salt in a bowl.
To this, add in the chilled vegan butter cubes and cut it into the flour with a pastry cutter (you can use a couple forks, but it’s a bit more difficult this way – I would almost say just to use your hands to incorporate it if you don’t have one, but you will lose some flakiness with the warmth, so I highly recommend the pastry cutter overall!).
Once it has a crumbly texture you can start to add cold water a tablespoon at a time (no more than 2-3) until the dough sticks together when you squish it with your fingers.
Then, gently pat it down until it’s about an inch thick circle, and let it chill, wrapped, in the fridge for an hour.
Once done, flour a flat surface, unwrap the dough and place it down. Add another sprinkle on top and to a rolling pin and roll out until 1/4 inch thick. If it cracks too much it may be easier to squish it down into an oiled pie or tart pan.
Otherwise, after rolling out, fold it in half and place over the oiled pie or tart pan and unfold it to cover the entire thing. Push it down evenly around the pan and poke some holes in the bottom with a fork, then bake for 20 minutes.
Making the Eggless Quiche Filling
To make the quiche filling, add the tofu (no need to press), plant milk and spices to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then pulse in the spinach but do not blend it in. Finally, stir in the vegan shredded cheddar.
Pour into your slightly cooled pie crust and spread out evenly, then top with sliced tomatoes.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until it begins to become golden brown!
This recipe is:
- Egg Free
- Dairy Free
- Protein Packed
- Full of Veggies
Check out these other healthy vegan breakfast recipes:
Pin this for later!
Vegan Spinach Quiche
This delicious cheesy vegan spinach quiche is perfect for a hearty and homemade breakfast! Filling and full of flavor all on top of a flaky pie crust.
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter (chilled & cubed)
- 2-3 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
For the Filling
- 1 Block Extra-Firm Tofu
- 1/2-1 Cup Vegan Shredded Cheddar
- 2 Tbsp Plant Milk
- 1 Cup Fresh Spinach
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 3 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 2 Small Tomatoes
- For the crust, mix together the flour and salt in a bowl. Add the chilled vegan butter cubes and cut in using a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Add cold water a tablespoon at a time (as little as possible), mixing in between until the dough sticks together when you press it together in your hand.
- Gently pat down into a inch thick circle, wrap and place in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- For the filling, add tofu (no need to press), plant milk, garlic powder, onion powder, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Add spinach and pulse until incorporated but not blended. Stir in vegan shredded cheese and set aside.
- Once dough is ready, preheat oven to 350 degrees and flour a flat surface.
- Add unwrapped dough and a sprinkle more of flour on top and to a rolling pin. Carefully roll out to 1/4 inch (if it's a little crumbly it may be easier to just squish down into an oiled pie pan.
- Fold in half and then unfold in oiled pie pan. Poke a few holds in the bottom with a fork and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, then pour in filling mixture and level out. Add sliced tomatoes to the top and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until it begins to golden on top.
- Allow to cool slightly and then cut into pieces. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345
15 thoughts on “Vegan Spinach Quiche”
Thank you, Caitlin. This was good and easy. And can be modified for various flavors. I used frozen spinach and it was fine.
So happy you liked it!! 🙂
This is a fabulous meal to start the day with. I love that you use spinach and the tomato on top is just perfection.
Thank you! 🙂
Spinach quiche is perfect for a lazy weekend brunch! I love the tomatoes on top, and I never tried it with tofu, thanks for sharing!
Oh yes it would be perfect for a weekend brunch! 🙂
A spinach quiche is always a go-to for breakfast! And I love how this is made vegan. Will definitely be making this tomorrow for the family.
So happy to hear it! It’s a great way to start the day. 🙂
I never would have thought to use tofu in a quiche. I can’t wait to try this.
I hope you do! 🙂