We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: April 1, 2022)
Best Vegan Coffee Cake Recipe
This easy vegan coffee cake is so irresistibly moist and crumbly!
It has a sweet vanilla cake center, a spiced brown sugar and cinnamon crumb topping, and a sweet drizzle of icing on top.
There’s nothing better than a homemade, fresh-out-the-oven coffee cake that fills your home with comforting cinnamon and brown sugar aromas.
It’s the ultimate comfort food to enjoy with a cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea.
Coffee cake is one of my favorite go-to desserts because it’s easy to make, it’s a huge crowd-pleaser, and it looks like it takes a lot more effort than it really does.
I don’t know anyone who would decline a big slice of freshly baked coffee cake!
Cinnamon Cake with Crumb Topping
One of my favorite parts of coffee cake is how pretty the crumb topping looks with the light drizzle on top.
I’ve also made coffee cake without a filling before, but I HIGHLY recommend trying this version that has some of the topping layered inside the cake as well (without having to make a separate filling, the crumb topping is great as a filling too!).
This cake is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday, shower, dinner party or just to have something easy and sweet to snack on every now and then.
I just love a good cinnamon cake, which is why I decided to sneak in some extra cinnamon into the cake itself.
Just a hint adds that extra layer of coziness to the cake, without drastically changing the iconic color of an old fashioned coffee cake.
If you love cinnamon flavored treats, you’ll also love my Vegan Coffee Cake Donuts and Vegan Cinnamon Dolce Latte!
How to Make Easy Vegan Coffee Cake
Mixing the Batter and Topping
To make this easy vegan coffee cake recipe, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F, and preparing your 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray, as well as a sheet of parchment paper for easy removal if desired.
Then add your room-temperature vegan butter and sugar to a bowl and mix until creamy. Add the vanilla and flax egg and mix again.
In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
Add half the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix just until combined, then add half the plant milk.
Mix again and then repeat with the remaining half batter and plant milk, mixing just until combined, then set aside.
Now prepare your topping by mixing together the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon, and then incorporate the cold, cubed vegan butter with a pastry cutter or with your hands. Once it has a sandy texture it’s ready.
Layering and Baking Coffee Cake
Now it’s time to layer the cake!
Add half the cake batter mixture to the baking tray and spread out evenly – the batter is thick but take your time so that it’s even.
Evenly add half the crumb topping on top of the batter and gently press down.
Add the remaining batter, evenly spread out, and finish with the remaining crumb topping, gently pressing down again.
Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then transfer it to a cooling rack carefully using the ends of the parchment paper to pick it up.
Once it’s fully cooled, mix together your drizzle and add all over the top in a zigzag pattern, and enjoy!
Homemade Coffee Cake Crumble Recipe
This delicious layered cinnamon coffee cake recipe is so tasty and full of comforting vanilla and spice flavor.
I find this cake to be just a tasty in the middle of summer as it is on a cold winter night, there’s never a wrong time for a homemade coffee cake!
I know you’ll love this cake just as much as I do!
This recipe is:
- Cinnamon/Brown Sugar
Try these other yummy baked vegan desserts!
10 Best Vegan Chocolate Desserts!
Vegan Coffee Cake
The best ever vegan coffee cake recipe with a brown sugar and cinnamon crumb topping, moist cake center and light and sweet glaze on top!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, room temperature
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Flax Egg*
- 3/4 Cup Plant Milk
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter, cold and cubed
For the Drizzle
- 1/3 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tsp Plant Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and prepare an 8x8 baking pan with non-stick spray and a piece of parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a bowl, add the sugar and room-temperature vegan butter and mix until creamy. Add the vanilla and flax egg and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Add half the dry mixture to the wet and mix just until incorporated. Add half the plant milk and mix again, followed by the dry ingredients and then the rest of the plant milk (the batter will be thick), set aside.
- To make the crumb topping, add the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon to a bowl and mix well. Add the cold, cubed vegan butter and incorporate with a pastry cutter or with your hands until it has a sandy texture.
- Add half the coffee cake batter to your baking pan and evenly spread out. Add half the crumb topping evenly and gently press down. Add the remaining batter, evenly spread out, and then the rest of the crumb topping, gently pressing down.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack to fully cool using the two ends of the parchment paper to pick it up.
- Once completely cooled, mix together your drizzle and add to the top of the cake in a zigzag pattern. Enjoy!
*1 Tbsp ground flax seed mixed together with 3 tbsp water, let sit for 5 minutes and use in place of an egg.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 344mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g
14 thoughts on “The Best Vegan Coffee Cake”
I’d love a slice of this straight from the oven – it sounds absolutely incredible!
Thanks so much!
This is a very tasty coffee cake. I will definitely be making it again. The crumble top is perfect!
Thank you! 🙂
I would never have guessed this was vegan! It looks so delicious. I love crumb cake…there is something so comforting about it for breakfast when the weather cools down. Love this!
Thank you so much! Love crumb cake too!
Cake for breakfast is always a must! I love that this fits into a vegan lifestyle and is made with real ingredients. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you!! 🙂
This looks absolutely perfect! 🙂 I could go for a slice or two right about now.
Thank you so much!