We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: April 28, 2021)
Teriyaki Grilled Cauliflower Recipe
This delicious grilled cauliflower recipe is so simple to make and is packed with so much flavor!
Made with a simple homemade teriyaki sauce with an option to use store-bought, these grilled cauliflower steaks are perfection.
Perfect for BBQ’s, 4th of July parties, or any springtime or summertime evening when you want to grill out!
This is the best savory cauliflower steak recipe ever, sure to be a hit and an easy crowd pleaser!Cauliflower has become a very popular food these days – and for good reason!
While it may not seem like much raw, there are so many vegan cauliflower recipes out there, and so many different ways to cook them!
They really work great on the grill and get the best charred texture and caramelization.
If you’re worried about the veggie falling through the cracks, always feel free to use some aluminum foil for ease of mind.
Best Vegan Cauliflower Recipe
When cooked properly, and especially on the grill and with this sauce, the cauliflower transforms into a soft, slightly sweet steak, with a hint of smokiness.
This can easily be a main dish or a side dish, just keep in mind that one head of cauliflower will yield about two or three steaks, with some florets left over.
You can also make this recipe for grilled cauliflower with purple, orange or green cauliflower for an added pop of color!
How to Make Cauliflower Steaks on the Grill
Making the Teriyaki Sauce
This grilled cauliflower recipe includes a homemade teriyaki sauce recipe (the same I use for my teriyaki tofu!), but if you are in a pinch you can buy store-bought and continue to the next step.
It’s very easy to make, but you do have to follow the steps carefully to get the right texture.
To make the teriyaki cauliflower sauce, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic to a pan over medium heat.
Bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes, stirring often, and then remove from heat, but leave the heat on.
Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until completely dissolved, then slowly pour into the sauce while constantly stirring.
Return the sauce pan to the heat and cook for two or three more minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly, then remove from heat and turn heat off.
Set this aside while you prepare the cauliflower – it will continue to thicken as it cools!
Marinating and Grilling Cauliflower
Wash the cauliflower and cut off the leaves and some of the stem, leaving the core intact though; then carefully cut into 3/4 inch steaks.
Add half the teriyaki sauce to a shallow dish and spread out, then place the cauliflower steaks down and cover with remaining sauce.
If you have some leftover florets, you can put them together with some skewers or simply add them to the marinade and cook them in some foil along with the steaks when we get to the grill.
Let this marinate for 15-30 minutes, flipping halfway through if needed.
Heat the grill to 350°F and spray with non-stick spray.
Place the steaks on the grill (and the foil of florets if using) and cook for about 4-6 minutes per side, adding more sauce throughout.
If you are new to grilling cauliflower, feel free to add the foil until you get the hang of how soft they should get!
You know they are done when they have grill marks and are soft enough to stab easily.
Serving Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
That’s it – the best recipe for vegetarian cauliflower you can serve with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice if desired!
Easy Vegetarian Cauliflower Recipe
This cauliflower steaks recipe has the best marinade and texture ever – you’ll never look at cauliflower the same way again!
I do recommend eating all the steaks the day you make them, they won’t heat up and get that delicious texture the same way.
The great thing is that making cauliflower steaks on the grill is a budget-friendly and simple thing to do, so make as many as you’d like!
- Cauliflower – Any color will do! The bigger the better for this recipe.
- Soy Sauce – I always recommend low sodium, you get all the flavor with less salt.
- Brown Sugar – Important to get that savory sweet caramelization!
- Rice Vinegar – Adds so much flavor, trust me.
- Sesame Oil – One of my most favorite flavors of all time.
- Ginger & Garlic Powder – Adds so much flavor and really make the sauce, you can also use fresh.
- Cornstarch – Just a little cornstarch makes for the perfect thick texture, just be sure to follow the steps exactly.
- Fresh Cilantro – The perfect way to serve these vegan cauliflower steaks.
This recipe is:
Here are some vegan that pair well with vegetarian cauliflower recipes!
Marinated & Grilled Veggie Kabobs
Homemade Italian Vegan Pasta Salad
Pin this for later!
Grilled Cauliflower Recipe
This teriyaki grilled cauliflower recipe uses a simple marinade to make vegan cauliflower steaks. Delicious grilled recipe for summer!
- 1 Head Cauliflower
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch + 2 Tbsp Cold Water
- Fresh Cilantro to serve
- To make the sauce, add the soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic to a pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, then remove from heat.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl until completely dissolved. Slowly pour this into the sauce mixture while constantly stirring until incorporated.
- Return pan to heat and simmer for 2 more minutes until thickened, stirring constantly, about two minutes - it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut the leaves steam off carefully, leaving the core intact though.
- Carefully cut into 3/4 inch steaks - if you have some florets leftover you can connect them with skewers or simply marinate and grill them in foil along with the steaks.
- Add half the sauce to a shallow dish and spread out. Place the cauliflower steaks inside and cover with remaining sauce. Marinate for 15-30 minutes, flipping halfway through if needed.
- While the steaks marinate, heat your grill to medium, about 350°F.
- Spray grill with non-stick spray and then place the steaks on the grill, cooking for about 4-6 minutes per side until grill marks appear, and adding more sauce throughout.
- If you are new to grilling cauliflower, feel free to add the foil until you get the hang of how soft they should get!
- Remove from grill and serve with fresh cilantro, enjoy!
*For an even easier recipe, feel free to purchase store-bought vegan teriyaki sauce at the store and simply follow the instructions on marinating and grilling!
**If you are worried about the cauliflower falling apart or if you cut them too thin, you can place a piece of aluminum foil on the grill and cook them as instructed, maybe adding a minute or two if needed to soften.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 971mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g
36 thoughts on “Grilled Cauliflower Recipe”
I cut cauliflower in chunks and put in grill pan on my grill. Great marinade. Everyone asks me for the recipe. Thanks!
So happy to hear that! 🙂