We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Healthy and Delicious Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
These easy vegan cinnamon rolls are sweet, fluffy, and delicious.
There’s nothing quite like a homemade cinnamon bun with freshly drizzled frosting!
Even if you’ve never worked with yeast and rising dough before, you’ll have no problem whipping together these delicious treats for breakfast or a late night treat!
Dairy Free and Fluffy Cinnamon Buns
These cinnamon rolls are perfect for entertaining, holiday mornings, or brunch!
If you’d like to make these ahead of time, I would recommend following all the steps until rolls are formed and placed in a baking dish, and putting this dish in the fridge overnight to rise slowly.
Then you can bake them in the morning when you need them!
They will rise just as well in the fridge overnight, and you’ll have freshly baked vegan cinnamon rolls to enjoy!
Making Easy Vegan Cinnamon Buns
The first step in this easy cinnamon roll recipe is letting the dough rise properly.
The tastiest cinnamon roll recipes involve yeast and plenty of time to rise.
To begin, heat up a cup of almond milk and 3 tablespoons of vegan butter just until slightly warm (about 110 degrees if you have a thermometer) but not hot.
Do not stir the yeast until about 5-10 minutes have passed and the mixture has become frothy/foamy. If it does not react, it’s possible your milk was too hot and killed the yeast, or that it was too cold and did not activate it.
Mix in the flour and salt in 1/2 cup increments until it forms a ball. Set this aside, covered, for an hour to rise.
Once it has about doubled in size, you can start to roll it out!
Flour a flat surface and plop the dough down, sprinkling more flour on top of the dough and onto a rolling pin. Roll it out into a large rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
Starting at the bottom, tightly roll the dough up, once you reach the top, give it a good squish to seal it.
Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a lightly oiled baking dish, at least 9×9 inch big or larger – they will be prettier and more circular in a larger dish.
Allow the dough to rise again for an hour – I preheated my oven to its lowest setting (170 degrees), placed the rolls inside, turned off the heat and let them rise in there.
Finally, it’s time to bake!
Take the dish out of the oven, brush a bit more vegan butter on top, and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Once preheated, place dish back in and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown on top!
Allow the rolls to cool completely before drizzling the frosting on.
Once they are cool to touch, mix 1 cup vegan powdered sugar with about 2 tablespoons of plant milk and mix well.
Drizzle over the cinnamon rolls and you’re done!
They should be very easy to cut and scoop out, and the frosting will form a delicious glaze!
This recipe is:
- Perfect for Breakfast!
If you’re looking for more vegan breakfasts, try my:
Pin this for later!
For the Dough
- 1 Packet Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Cup Plant Milk
- 2 1/2 Cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Cane Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Butter + more to top
For the Filling
For the Frosting
- Heat 1 cup plant milk and 3 tablespoons vegan butter until just slightly warm, about 110 degrees. Disolve 3 tablespoons cane sugar, stir, and sprinkle packet of active dry yeast over the top of the mixture.
- Allow this to sit for 5-10 minutes or until it becomes frothy/foamy. If it does nothing, your milk may have been too warm and killed the yeast, or too cold and not activated it.
- Mix up your yeast mixture and add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time while mixing in between, and salt. Roll into a ball and allow to sit, covered, for 1 hour to rise - I lightly oiled this bowl to help it not stick.
- Once it has at least doubled in size, flour a flat surface and place the dough down. Add another sprinkle of flour to the top and to a rolling pin and roll up into a large rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Brush 1/4 Cup of melted vegan butter across the entire dough, leaving a 1 inch margin at the top and bottom. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon evenly and tightly roll up starting at the bottom and rolling up to the top.
- With a sharp knife, cut into equal sizes, about 1 1/2 inch thick. Place in a lightly oiled cooking pan at least 9x9 inch or larger, and allow to rise again, covered, for another hour*. Then preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Now brush on a little more vegan butter and bake them, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until golden brown!
- Allow them to cool completely, then mix together your powdered sugar with about 2 tablespoons plant milk, and pour over the rolls evenly. Enjoy!
*I set my oven to its lowest setting (mine was 170 degrees), placed the pan inside and covered with a kitchen cloth. Then turned the oven off and let them rise in there as I found the warmth to help!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208