We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter cookies have no equal; they’re soft, chewy, creamy, and melt-in-your-mouth irresistible. I was so incredibly excited when I finally got this recipe perfect!
These vegan peanut butter cookies taste better than any I’ve tried before, vegan or non-vegan!
Refined Sugar and Oil-Free Peanut Butter Cookies
As usual, coconut sugar is my go-to sweetener (along with maple syrup), as I love how unprocessed and caramelly-sweet it makes my baked goods!
Also, I almost always use a nut butter in place of oil in my recipes, so these cookies were already set!
I also love adding just a pinch of cream of tartar to most of my festive cookies (like my Chewy Maple Cookies), and I think it adds such a nice texture to these as well!
It may sound strange because it’s normally used in snickerdoodles to give them a tangy flavor, but I think it complements these cookies just perfectly, and makes them super chewy (I’m not much of a crunchy cookie person).
The best part of vegan baking is that since there’s no eggs involved, you can safely snack away as you roll the dough into balls and wait for the rest of the dough to bake!
Sometimes these never even make it into the oven!
Easy, Simple Ingredients
My favorite part of baking is discovering healthier ways to use alternative ingredients. Once I found out apple sauce was such a tasty, cheap and healthy alternative to eggs and oil, I started throwing it into everything! As long as you don’t over-do it, they make your cookies super soft and delicious, while adding a hint of sweet apple-y flavor! (Don’t worry about flavor combining though, it’s so subtle you hardly taste it).
The dough is super easy to work with, but you can always let it chill for 20-30 minutes before rolling it into balls. This will make your dough less sticky and controls the spread of the cookies while baking.
These cookies are:
- Peanut Butter-y
Pin this for later!
- 1 Cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Cup Crazy Richard's Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Dash Salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Microwave the peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds, to make it extra runny.
- Add peanut butter, applesauce and vanilla to a bowl and combine well. Add the coconut sugar and whisk until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Slowly incorporate into wet mixture, mixing well in between adding flour.
- Scoop out roughly 1/4 cup amounts of dough and roll into balls, assemble on a baking sheet 2 inches apart. Squish dough down with a fork in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124