We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: September 26, 2022)
Easy Vegan Red Velvet Cake
This easy vegan red velvet cake recipe is so delicious!
It has a moist, flavorful deep red cake with a sweet vanilla frosting on top.
Red velvet is a beautiful cake for any occasion, but I love making it for special get togethers as well as Christmas.
It’s so much more than just a colored white cake, keep reading to learn how to make this tasty cake!The secret to red velvet cake isn’t simply the color.
The cake has a generous addition of cocoa powder and uses vegan buttermilk to add a rich, decadent and buttery flavor to the cake.
Vegan buttermilk can be easily made at home by mixing together plant milk and apple cider vinegar (you can also use regular vinegar or lemon juice).
Let this sit for at least five minutes to curdle and thicken, and then it’s ready!
Simple Vegan Cake Batter Recipe
This red velvet cake is so elegant and delicious, it has so much flavor and is sure to impress anyone you make it for!
These cakes are popular at Christmas time in my house thanks to the deep red color, but it’s also great for any get together where you need something a bit extra special.
Also, not all red food colors are vegan, so you’ll want to make sure the one you purchase is. I used this Wilton Red Gel and loved the deep color it gave the cake!
How to Make Vegan Cake from Scratch
Mixing the Cake Batter
To begin making your cake, you’ll want to oil two nine-inch circle cake pans.
You can also add a circle of parchment paper to the bottom of the pans for even easier removal.
Then, mix together your plant milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside – this will be your “buttermilk”. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F at this time as well.
In a bowl, whisk together all your dry ingredients and set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients, including the sugar.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and silky.
Baking Vegan Cake
Add evenly to both of your cake pans and bake for 33-38 minutes.
You’ll know the cake is done when it springs back up immediately when you poke it in the center.
You can also stick a toothpick in the center of the cake, and if it come out clean it is done.
Let the cake cool completely before adding any frosting.
Making Vegan Vanilla Frosting
Now to make your frosting – start by whipping up your vegan butter (stick) in a bowl until it’s creamy. Then mix in the vanilla.
Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time, mixing in between, until it’s all combined.
Add the plant milk as needed until the frosting is thick but spreadable.
Or, you can make this recipe with my Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting if you’d like!
Frosting and Serving Vegan Cake
Once your cake is completely cooled, remove from the cake pan and place one down on a plate or cake stand.
It’s okay if some of the caramelization comes off when you remove it from the pan, the frosting will cover it!
Add a generous layer of vegan frosting and evenly spread out, then top it off with the second cake.
Now, add a thin layer on top and around the edges, this is your crumb coat. I like to then place the cake in the freezer for 15-30 minutes to fully set that crumb coat, but this isn’t mandatory.
To finish the cake, add the rest of the frosting on top and around the edges and you’re done.
Feel free to decorate with sprinkles or leave plain!
Best Vegan Red Velvet Cake Recipe
This is the best ever red velvet cake recipe that is free of eggs and dairy, but you would never be able to tell.
It’s yummy, inviting, and looks professional without even trying.
Decorating your red velvet cake is also totally customizable and up to you.
The pretty red color is inviting enough that is doesn’t even need any toppings, but I decided on some sprinkles and thought it looked nice!
Last time I made this cake I trimmed off a small amount of the top of the cakes where they puffed up a bit. I crumbled the cake and then sprinkled it around the border for a pretty red effect, that was also a beautiful decoration!
This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
Check out these other delicious vegan cake recipes:
Pin this for later!
For the Cake:
- 2 2/3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Cup Plant Milk
- 2 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 Cup Cane Sugar
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vegan Red Gel Food Coloring*
For the Frosting:
- 1 Cup Vegan Butter, room temperature (stick)
- 3 1/2 Cups Vegan Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1-2 Tbsp Plant Milk
- Oil 2 9 inch circle pans and set aside. You can also add a circle of parchment paper to the bottoms to make removing the cake easier once baked.
- Mix plant milk and apple cider vinegar together, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, vanilla, food coloring and plant milk mixture until smooth.
- Add dry to wet an mix until the batter is smooth and silky.
- Add evenly to both pans and bake for 33-38 minutes, or until the cake springs back up when poked in the center, and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, add the vegan butter and whip with an electric mixer or vigorously by hand until creamy. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well in between. Add the plant milk only as needed and give it a final mix and set aside.
- Once your cake is fully cooled, remove from pan and place one cake on a plate. Add a layer of frosting on top, evenly spread out. Add the second cake followed by a thin layer of frosting on top and around the edges.
- Place in the freezer for 15-30 minutes to set (optional - this helps set the crumb coat).
- Add the remaining frosting on top and you're done! Decorate with sprinkles or leave plain.
*Be sure to check if your food coloring is vegan, if you are using liquid coloring, the quantity will be between 1-2 tablespoons depending on how vibrant you want your cake!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 485Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g