We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: December 22, 2022)
Easy Vanilla Vegan Custard Recipe
This vanilla vegan custard recipe is ready in no time and is so rich and creamy!
It’s perfect for adding to all sorts of desserts–from donuts to pies to tarts, and more.
Custard has a creamy and velvety texture that makes it distinct from other dessert toppings.
It’s super unique and easy to make, and has the best sweet vanilla flavor!
WHAT IS VEGAN CUSTARD?
Traditional custard is made with milk, cream, eggs, and sugar. To make this vegan, you simply swap out some of those ingredients for things like coconut milk, tahini, and cornstarch to achieve a very similar taste and texture! It’s rich and creamy and so delicious to add to desserts of all kinds.
HOW TO SERVE VEGAN CUSTARD?
Custard can be enjoyed on a variety of desserts: you can enjoy it warm inside donuts, or on top of tarts, pies, or other pastries. or in my Vegan Crème Brûlée recipe!
You can also enjoy it chilled with some dairy-free whipped cream and fruit! The possibilities are endless–it’s a delicious addition to so many recipes.
- Coconut Milk – Use a can of full-fat coconut milk for best results! If you don’t have access to this, you can also just use your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Sugar – White sugar is best for this recipe. You can also use brown sugar or coconut sugar but it may change the color and taste a bit.
- Cornstarch – A little cornstarch helps to lightly thicken the custard.
- Tahini – This is my secret ingredient for vegan custard–it adds richness and a little fat without changing the flavor.
- Salt – To bring out the simple flavors!
- Turmeric – This is optional, but I like to add a pinch to make the color more like normal custard.
- Vanilla – Any will do, but a higher-quality vanilla will really make this custard amazing!
How to Make Dairy-Free Custard
Making Custard Without Eggs or Milk
To make vegan custard, you really only need a pot and a few minutes!
Start by whisking together all of the ingredients (except for the vanilla) until smooth in a small pot.
Then, gently simmer over medium heat for about 2-4 minutes while whisking often.
Cook until thickened a bit and then remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla and let cool.
Serving Vegan Pastry Cream
Feel free to keep this pastry cream with any of your favorite desserts–there’s really nothing that can’t be improved with a bit of custard.
This vegan custard can be kept in a covered container in the fridge for about three or four days. You can enjoy it chilled or heat it on the stove just until warmed.
This recipe is:
- Vanilla Sweet
Try this vegan custard on some of my other dessert recipes!
Pin this for later!
- 1 15oz. Can Coconut Milk (full-fat)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Turmeric (optional for color)
- 1 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- Whisk together all ingredients (except the vanilla).
- Over medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-4 minutes or until thickened, whisking often.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool and enjoy in various desserts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 337Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 50mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g