We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: October 9, 2021)
Best Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Roasted vegan butternut squash soup is such a classic and comforting meal!
It’s packed with savory oven-baked squash, ginger, garlic, onion and a hint of sweetness from an apple and some coconut milk.
The result is a delicious combination of flavors blended together that make for a thick and hearty soup.
This super creamy and wholesome soup is packed with sweet and savory flavor!This is also such an easy recipe to make!
After roasting the squash, you simply make the one-pot soup in steps, adding the ingredients one by one until it’s time to blend!
Ginger Apple and Coconut Milk Squash Soup
This simple soup recipe really doesn’t need a ton of ingredients.
It is naturally flavored with whole foods and then seasoned with a bit of dried thyme and ground paprika.
The ginger, apple, garlic, onion, squash and coconut milk base are really all that’s needed for this flavorful and tasty recipe.
I like to serve mine with freshly chopped cilantro, pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of creamy coconut milk.
I also love having extra crispy bread on the side to make the meal even heartier!
How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Preparing and Roasting the Squash
To make this simple vegan butternut squash soup, start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F, and carefully peeling your squash and cutting off the top and bottom.
Then you’ll want to cut it in half and remove all the seeds.
Now, chop into roughly one inch cubes and assemble on a baking tray covered with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Add two tablespoons of olive oil and toss to evenly coat, then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until squash is tender when poked with a fork.
Making the Soup Base
To a large pot over medium heat, add two tablespoons of olive oil and the chopped onion.
Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent, and then add the minced ginger and garlic and cook 2-3 more minutes.
Finally, peel, core and chop your apple and add to the pot along with the roasted squash, veggie broth, coconut milk, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper.
Mix well and cover, then bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Finishing and Blending Squash Soup
Now it’s time to blend!
The easiest way by far is to use an immersion blender and process until smooth.
If you don’t have one, simply wait until the soup cools and is warm to touch.
In batches, scoop into a blender and process until smooth.
Then you’re done!
Serve with toppings of choice, and crispy bread and enjoy.
Easy Creamy Roasted Squash Soup
The unique combination of ingredients paired with the roasted squash flavor makes this soup so unique and delicious.
It’s incredibly creamy and packed with so much flavor, you can’t even tell it’s healthy!
Completely dairy-free and made from wholesome ingredients, this soup is a repeat dinner in my house.
This recipe is:
Check out these other delicious and warming vegan soup recipes:
Vegan Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Vegan Rosemary Potato Veggie Soup
Pin this for later!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
This easy and creamy vegan butternut squash soup is deliciously savory with a hint of sweetness. Apples, squash, onion, ginger and more!
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash
- 1 Medium Apple
- 1 Onion
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Cups Veggie Broth
- 1 Cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk (from a can preferably)
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tsp Ground Paprika
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Fresh Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully peel the butternut squash and cut off the top and bottom. Then cut in half. Scoop out the seeds and chop into 1 inch cubes. Place on a baking tray covered in parchment paper or aluminum foil and add 2 tbsp olive oil. Toss to coat evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork, set aside.
- To a large pot over medium heat, add 2 tbsp olive oil and the chopped onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add minced garlic and ginger and cook 2-3 minutes more until fragrant.
- Peel, core and chop the apple into cubes and add to the pot, along with the roasted squash, veggie broth, coconut milk, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now is when you blend the soup, I like using an immersion blender as the easiest option, but if all you have is a blender simply let the soup cool for a bit until it's just warm to touch. Then blend in batches until the soup is smooth.
- Enjoy with a drizzle of coconut milk, pumpkin seeds, cilantro or any toppings you'd like!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 566mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 6g
24 thoughts on “Vegan Butternut Squash Soup”