We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
West African Vegan Peanut Stew
This African Peanut Soup recipe has so many unique and complimentary flavors – it’s like nothing you’ve tried before!
Sweet potato, peanut, ginger, garlic, tomato, turmeric, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and chard are the main components of this soup, and they blend together perfectly.
This soup is warm, comforting and healthy with all natural and unprocessed ingredients, and definitely a dish-to-impress.
Simple African Sweet Potato Peanut Soup
When you’re eating plant based, sometimes you can get bored of eating the same old thing. That’s why this soup is perfect for switching it up and keeping things interesting!
The base of this dish begins similarly to other sweet potato soups, but has a much deeper and more savory flavor.
I’ve made many variations of this soup, and settled on this group of flavors – they don’t overpower one another and create a super unique flavor.
Cooking African Peanut Soup
This recipe begins with cooking the onions, ginger and garlic until fragrant and translucent (this is already one of my favorite flavor combinations to any good soup recipe!).
Then you add in the diced sweet potato and let it cook until it begins to tenderize. Next add the tomato sauce, peanut butter and organic vegetable stock and stir.
Stir in all your beautiful spices, bring to a soft boil and reduce heat to low to let it simmer for at least 10 minutes.
The longer it simmers, the more flavorful it becomes!
Now, using an immersion blender or scooping the soup into any blender you have (allow it to cool a bit if you are not using an immersion blender), process until it thickens.
I don’t blend it all the way in order to keep some potato pieces. Then you’ll add in your chopped chard and let it cook until it’s tender
Serve with whole peanuts on top, and maybe some fresh bread!
I love making this warm soup all winter-long, and it’s still light enough to have in the summer as well.
It’s a great way to sneak in some greens without even knowing it, and chard is the best for this soup because it’s a heartier green than spinach or kale, and even when it’s cooked down it still has a great texture.
This soup is a perfect weeknight or meal prep dinner recipe!
This recipe is:
If you’re looking for more healthy vegan soup recipes, try these below!
Pin this for later!
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 3-4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Inch Fresh Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter
- 32 oz Vegetable Stock
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 Bunch Chard
- 2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- Add chopped onions to a pot over medium heat, and cook with a splash or veggie stock for about 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add ginger and garlic and continue cooking for a couple minutes.
- Add Sweet Potatoes and continue cooking for 5 minutes, adding more water or veggie stock to avoid sticking.
- Add peanut butter, veggie stock, tomato sauce, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper and cook, covered for about 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when poked with a fork.
- Take an immersion blender* and blend. Add chopped chard and serve with peanuts on top!
* If you don't have an immersion blender, you can simply scoop the soup into any blender you have. Though I would recommend you let it cool a bit before blending.