We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I have so many fond memories of Summer cookouts with family and friends–sitting by the pool, soaking in the sun, and having a big buffet-style feast where everyone brings a dish to pass, this black bean quinoa burger is the perfect cookout recipe!
Living in the south this past year has made me realize these cookouts should be pushed to fall–when the weather is a bit friendlier down here!
Perfect Cookout Burgers
I remember my first cookout after switching to a plant-based lifestyle, I had a huge balsamic-marinated Portobello mushroom with the works.
It helped me realize plant-based living doesn’t mean you miss out on communal events, it simply means cooking your mushroom first, before the meat goes on the grill!
Since then I’ve tried my fair share of store-bought veggie burgers–aside from the fact they have a tad too much fat and salt for my liking, I’ve found making them myself to be most rewarding!
I feel veggie burgers have a bad rep as being flavorless, somewhat scary concoctions, but add the right ingredients and spices and you’ll be shocked at how much you’ll crave them!
Homemade Vegan Burgers
I love seeing people’s reactions to the colors and flavors in homemade veggie burgers, most people have only tried store-bought, and can’t believe how fresh they taste with various organic spices, legumes and veggies!
Some of my favorite ingredients include smoked paprika (my favorite brand of spices is Frontier as they are non-Gmo and sustainably sourced!), red peppers, sweet potato and black beans!
For the sake of this recipe, I’m just going to share a very basic, yet very flavorful veggie burger!
Quinoa and black beans are the perfect base to these burgers, and they truly help the seasonings stand out!
After these are baked to perfection, they develop an amazing, subtle crust on the outside, and hold their shape perfectly! I’ve tweaked this recipe a few times to avoid a crumbly burger, and my secret is a large “chia-egg”.
All you’ll have to do is soak some ground chia seeds in water for about 10 minutes; this is because they will form a strong, egg-like consistency and will hold your burger together (this is also a great trick for baking)!
Follow the recipe below to make these perfect cookout veggie burgers–I like to serve mine with red onion, spinach, avocado, tomato, ketchup and a side of homemade, baked sweet potato fries! Enjoy.
Pin this for later!
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 1 Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Tbsp Ground Chia Seeds
- 1 to 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add uncooked quinoa and reduce to low. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft.
- Mix ground chia seeds with 5 tablespoons of water. Mix well and set aside for at least 15 minutes, or until mixture becomes "egg-like".
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Add chopped onion along with a splash of water to a large pot over medium heat. Cook until onion is tender and translucent, roughly 8 minutes. Add black beans and mash (I used a potato masher), but leave some beans whole for texture.
- Add spices, cooked quinoa, chia mixture and oat flour and mix well. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Lay parchment paper over a baking pan and set aside a bowl of water. Dip hands in water and begin to shape patties (using roughly 1/2 to 3/4 cup sized handfuls). Lay in baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Flip patties and continue baking for 25-30 minutes longer. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Finished! Place patties on your favorite bun and finish with toppings of choice!
*Easily gluten free by ensuring you use gluten-free flour and bread!
Serving Size:1 Patty
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230