We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Super Simple “Spinach Puffs”
Crescent rolls have always been a favorite of mine – so you can imagine my excitement to find out most store-bought brands are vegan, perfect for this spinach puff pastry recipe!
They’re flaky, buttery (vegan butter!), and soft on the inside. Just perfection really. So when I was thinking about how I wanted to create my own “spinach puff” recipe, I immediately chose them over puff pastry!
For this recipe I used the Organic Crescent Rolls from the brand Immaculate Baking (I got mine at Whole Foods). I love that they are vegan and have just a few, natural ingredients.
Creamy, Herbed Filling
For the super-creamy spinach filling, I basically used an old Spinach-Artichoke dip recipe I made a while back, and enhanced the flavor.
Like I’ve said before, cashews are so underrated – they can be used in place of any creamy sauce you might need, sweet or savory!
After I soaked and blended them, I tossed in some frozen spinach (be sure to thaw and remove as much moisture as possible!), garlic powder, nutritional yeast, plant milk, green onions, salt and a ton of fresh dill.
Once combined, you’ll be blown away at how flavorful and smooth it is! This filling really could be a dip itself.
Once you have your filling take your crescent dough, rip off the triangle cut off, and squish it down. I like to have it as thin as possible in order to fill it up with as much filling as I can!
Add a good 2 tablespoons or so of the filling to the center of the dough. Now, grab all 3 corners, bring to the middle, and give them a slight twist as you squish them together – they should hole the shape quite well.
Toss them in an oiled or non-stick cupcake pan, and finish the rest of the rolls!
Flaky, Buttery Crescent Rolls
I added the slightest amount of oil to the top to help them brown, and they’re ready in under 15 minutes!
The combination of the creamy, flavorful filling (I absolutely love a strong-dill flavor!), and the crispy and soft crescent roll is a match made in heaven!
These are my new go-to appetizer for family gatherings, especially the holidays! They’re also good enough to have for breakfast, or a midnight snack!
Pin this for later!
- 8 Refrigerated Crescent Dough Rolls (Vegan)
- 10oz Frozen Spinach
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions
- 1/2 Cup Plant Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Thaw spinach for at least a few hours. Soak cashews overnight in room temperature water, or in boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and add to a blender along with the plant milk, salt, garlic powder and nutritional yeast.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, set aside.
- Pat spinach dry with a towel or with a few paper towels. There will be a lot of moisture, so get as much out as you can.
- Add dill, spinach, and green onions to the blender and pulse until evenly incorporated.
- Squish down croissant rolls into more of a triangle shape. Spoon in spinach mixture in 2-Tablespoon amounts onto croissant rolls. Grab all three corners and pinch together in the middle, squishing down the top to set.
- If you want them to have a nice golden brown top, you can add a smidge of oil before baking. Bake for 12 minutes at 425 degrees, or until golden brown. Enjoy!