We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: July 26, 2023)
Citrus fruits add refreshing flavor to numerous recipes, and a space-saving, easy-to-use citrus reamer can make a world of difference in extracting the most juice from your favorite fruits. From limes to grapefruits, a reamer is an essential tool in any kitchen arsenal.
Even though it’s a simple tool, there are many citrus reamers available with varying features and designs, so it’s nice to find one tailored to your needs. As you dive into exploring the best citrus reamers, consider factors such as ease of use, versatility, and durability to ensure you make the most informed decision.
Our Top 3 Picks
Best Wooden Citrus Reamer
- Made from hardwood that resists damage from citric acid.
- Comfort-grip handle is easy on the hands.
- Easy to use and easy to clean.
- Not suitable for larger citrus fruits.
More economical and easier to use than an electric juicer or blender, this classic hand juicer is perfect for making fresh-squeezed orange juice, smoothie recipes, mixing marinades, preparing seafood dishes, flavoring everyday gourmet dishes, and creating tasty mixed drinks.
Cleanup is also a breeze – simply hand wash it in warm, soapy water. The hardwood construction resists damage caused by the citric acid found naturally in citrus fruit, ensuring that it will last for years to come.
Best Glass Citrus Reamer
- Beautiful – can go from kitchen to table.
- Deep reservoir.
- Easy to pour.
- Made from heavyweight glass; durable.
- May not be suitable for large citrus fruits like grapefruit.
- No seed barrier, so you may need to a sieve.
- Hand wash only.
This beautiful juicer is perfect for making fresh-squeezed orange juice, mixing marinades, and creating tasty mixed drinks. You can take it from the kitchen to the table, since it’s just as beautiful as it is functional. Unfortunately it’s hand-wash only.
best stainless steel citrus reamer
- Made of food grade 304 stainless steel.
- Ergonomic design with convenient two-sided handles.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Lockable and detachable sieve.
- Juice container is a bit small.
- Can be messy if pouring with the top on.
- Not ideal for larger citrus fruits like grapefruits.
This citrus reamer is made of high-quality stainless steel, making it stable, anti-rust, and resistant to prolonged intensive use. Its ergonomic design with two-sided handles and two spouts makes it easy to grip and pour, while the lockable and detachable sieve filters seeds and pulp for quick juice collection through the slots. It’s also dishwasher safe, making it easy to clean.
While the juice container is a bit small, this citrus reamer is perfect for lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit, mandarins, tangerines, and other small to medium-sized citrus fruits. However, it may not be ideal for larger citrus fruits like pomelos.
- Includes two 16 oz glass mason jars for storing and serving.
- Stainless steel reamers with sieve.
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- The holes in the juicer are small.
The glass mason jars are a great addition to the set, allowing you to store and serve your freshly squeezed juice. The stainless steel and glass construction ensures that the juicer is durable and safe to use.
The small holes in the juicer can make it difficult to extract juice from larger citrus fruits, but it works well with smaller fruits like lemons and limes.
- Durable, safe, and BPA-free melamine.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Small size, functional design to save on space.
- Fun, Bright colors
- May not be as effective for larger citrus fruits.
- Some may prefer a more traditional reamer.
The rounded handle and sharp point make it easy to juice citrus fruits quickly and efficiently, while the durable and safe melamine material ensures it will last for years.
Functional size and design make it easy to store when not in use, and the dishwasher safe feature makes cleanup a breeze. While it may not be as effective for larger citrus fruits, it’s perfect for lemons and limes.
Features to Consider
The material of the citrus reamer plays a vital role in its durability and performance. Common materials used include:
- Wood: Wooden reamers add a touch of aesthetics to your kitchen but might require extra care to maintain their appearance.
- Glass: Traditional and durable, glass citrus reamers are also beautiful!
- Plastic: BPA-free plastic reamers are lightweight and dishwasher-safe.
- Stainless steel: Steel reamers are more durable and long-lasting. They offer excellent corrosion resistance but can be more expensive.
Size and Capacity
Consider the size and capacity of the citrus reamer according to the fruits you typically juice:
- Small reamers: Ideal for lemons and limes, small reamers are compact and easy to store.
- Large reamers: Suitable for oranges and grapefruits, large reamers have a bigger capacity but may take up more space in your kitchen.
- Dual-size reamers: Some reamers come with two sizes, allowing you to juice various citrus fruits using a single tool.
Cleaning and Maintenance
- Maintenance requirements: Stainless steel and plastic reamers generally have low maintenance requirements, while wooden reamers may need periodic oiling to protect their surface.
- Dishwasher-safe: Opt for a dishwasher-safe reamer to make cleaning easier and more efficient.
- Easy-to-clean ridges: Reamers with deeper ridges might require more attention when cleaning by hand.
Benefits of Using a Citrus Reamer
Easy to use: Citrus reamers are designed to be user-friendly. With a comfortable handle and a conical, ridged surface, using a citrus reamer requires minimal effort. Simply cut your fruit in half and twist the reamer into the fruit, allowing the juice to flow and collect in a bowl or container.
Less Mess: Unlike other juicing tools, citrus reamers create little to no mess. Some models, like the Etinslant Citrus Reamer, even feature a built-in cup to catch the juice as you extract it. This feature minimizes spills, making cleanup a breeze.
Efficient: When it comes to getting every last drop of juice, citrus reamers are the way to go. The pointed tip and ridges on the reamer help to break down the fruit membranes, allowing you to extract more juice than you might get with other methods.
Compact and economical: Citrus reamers are small and easy to store, making them an ideal choice for those with limited kitchen space. Additionally, they are typically less expensive than even the cheapest electric juicers, making them both budget-friendly and practical.
What are the pros and cons of old-fashioned hand juicers?
When choosing between a manual and an electric juicer, it’s important to know their pros and cons. Below, you’ll find our breakdown of advantages and disadvantages.
- No electricity needed: Both eco-friendly, and allows you to save money on your electric bill.
- Quiet operation: Hand juicers operate silently; no loud appliances.
- Preservation of nutrients: Straight from the fruit to your bowl, vital enzymes and nutrients in your fruit remain intact, which can contribute to a healthier and more flavorful juice.
- Compact and portable: Hand juicers take up less counter space, making them suitable for smaller kitchens or frequent travel.
- Cleanup: Is typically easy – either a quick wash with soap and water, or throw it in the dishwasher.
- Requires more effort: Especially if you plan on juicing large volumes regularly, consider the strain on your hands and wrists.
- Slower process: Hand juicers also take longer to extract juice, which can limit your time for other tasks.
- Limited versatility: Hand juicers usually excel at processing citrus fruits, but they may struggle with tougher fruits or vegetables.
Ready to juice?
As you compare different types of citrus juicers, keep in mind that your specific needs and preferences will play a role in determining the best option for you.
Remember, a citrus reamer’s performance can be judged based on its ease of use, juice yield, and overall build quality. Considering these factors will help you make an informed decision.