We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.(Last Updated On: September 17, 2021)
Easy Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
This delicious vegan tater tot casserole is so quick and easy to make and so flavorful!
It’s the ultimate vegan comfort food – filled with tempeh, vegan cheese, beans, corn, onion, garlic and taco seasoning.
Complete with a layer of crisp and brown tater tops on top!
This is perfect to make on a weeknight or a big weekend meal!Sometimes referred to as a hot dish, this vegan potato taco casserole is one of the easiest, most comforting meals ever!
I don’t know how I’ve gone my whole life without making a casserole with tater tots, but I’m so glad I finally did.
The crisp, brown taters pair so perfectly with the savory filling with Mexican-inspired spices – there’s nothing better!
Vegetarian Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
This casserole is perfect to serve to adults as well as children – no one can resist a dinner topped with golden brown tater tots.
The symmetry alone is ridiculously satisfying, but it tastes even better.
Casseroles are not only comforting and budget-friendly, but also some of the easiest meals to make!
This vegan Mexican tater tot casserole is also perfect for using up leftover veggies, beans or protein.
Simply toss them in and bake!
It’s not only the easiest option, but nothing beats that tater crunch and flavor!
- Tater Tots – Most frozen tater tots are vegan!
- Tempeh – You could also use vegan ground beef, but I love tempeh.
- Corn – Canned, frozen or fresh.
- Black Beans – Use any beans you like, I prefer black for this recipe.
- Diced Tomatoes – You can substitute this for 10 oz. Enchilada sauce if you’d like.
- Vegan Cheese Shreds – Use your favorite brand! Some will melt better than others.
- Taco Seasoning – Use a packet or make your own with chili, paprika, garlic, onion, cumin, pepper and oregano.
- Onion & Garlic – These add tons of flavor!
- Olive Oil – Any neutral oil will work.
- Salt/Pepper – To taste.
- Toppings – Toppings I love on this casserole include red onion, black olives, green onion, dairy-free sour cream, guacamole, salsa, fresh diced tomatoes and cilantro.
How to Make Vegan Potato Casserole
Making the Taco Filling
To begin making this easy vegan casserole, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F.
Then, to a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and tempeh and cook for about 2-3 minutes until it starts to brown.
It’s super important to cook tempeh enough because it has an earthy taste when raw, and a delicious savory taste when cooked!
Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, followed by the garlic for another minute.
Now add the corn, beans, diced tomatoes or enchilada sauce, seasoning, salt and pepper and stir everything together, cooking for another minute or two.
Remove from heat and add all the vegan cheese except for 1/2 cup, and stir in.
Baking Vegan Casserole
Now it’s time to bake!
Grease a 9×13 baking tray and add all of the mixture inside, evenly spreading out.
Arrange a layer of tater tots evenly over the entire top of the casserole.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown – then add the remaining 1/2 cup of vegan cheese and bake for 3-5 minutes more until the cheese is starting to melt and the tater tots are gold and crisp!
Depending on the type of vegan cheese you use, some may melt more than others, just be sure you don’t over bake the tater tots!
Allow the casserole to cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve with toppings of choice!
Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Red onion
- Black olives
- Green onion
- Dairy-free sour cream
- Fresh Diced Tomatoes
Vegan Mexican Casserole Recipe
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is that all the ingredients are affordable, common and customizable.
If you can’t find something, just toss in something else instead, add your favorite ingredients and don’t worry too much about it.
You could even switch things up and use sweet potato tots!
Either way, this vegetarian tater tot casserole is a show-stopper in taste and appearance!
How to Store Vegan Tater Tot Casserole:
Store the casserole in the fridge for up to 5 days, heat in the microwave or in the oven until warmed through!
This recipe is:
- Easy to Make
- Ultimate Comfort Food!
Try these other easy vegan comfort meals!
Pin this for later!
- 32 oz. Tater Tots
- 1 Block Tempeh, cubed
- 15 oz. Can Corn, drained
- 15 oz. Can Black Beans, drained
- 15 oz. Diced Tomatoes*
- 8 oz. Vegan Cheese Shreds
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning**
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the oil and diced tempeh. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- Add diced onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to become translucent. Add mined garlic and cook another minute.
- Add the corn, beans, diced tomatoes or enchilada sauce, seasoning, salt and pepper and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vegan cheese, keeping 1/2 cup to the side for later.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with oil or non-stick spray and add mixture inside, evenly spreading out.
- Arrange tater tots evenly over the entire top of the mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add remaining cheese and cook for 3-5 minutes more.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes and serve with toppings of choice!***
*Can also substitute with 10 oz. Enchilada sauce.
**You can also make your own with chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano and pepper.
***Some toppings I recommend for this dish are diced red onion, black olives, green onions, dairy-free sour cream, guacamole, salsa or fresh diced tomatoes!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1321mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 8gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g