We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Best Homemade Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup
There’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of butternut squash soup – and fennel seriously makes this soup so unique and yummy!
While there’s tons of ways to make these sort of soups, this combination of squash, fennel, apple and sage is by far my most favorite. It’s so comforting and perfect during the cold winter season.
Mixed together with savory herbs and rich coconut milk makes for a thick, creamy soup packed with flavor!
Healthy Carrot Ginger and Squash Soup
Many of these recipes involve roasting the squash beforehand, which is delicious, but I’ve found that by simply cooking all the ingredients together until soft and then blending them you still get all that flavor in less time!
This is a one-pot recipe with minimal steps, it’s still incredibly healthy and delicious but without all the extra work. Just cook, blend and serve!
I topped mine with some pumpkin seeds for a little crunch, it’s also delicious with toasted bread. The leaf is just for decoration!
How to Make Apple Fennel and Squash Soup
To make this yummy soup, start by peeling your butternut squash, carefully cutting it in half and remove the seeds. Cut into chunks and place in a large pot. Add chopped carrots, onion and apples and add coconut milk, fennel, minced ginger, sage, thyme, veggie broth and bay leaves.
Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the squash is tender when poked with a fork, about 25-30 minutes.
Blend with an immersion blender, if you don’t have one let the soup cool until just slightly warm and blend in increments in a blender (to avoid blender damage or a soup eruption!).
Top with a drizzle of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds, and serve with toasted bread if you’d like!
Savory Herbed Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
This soup is great to serve to guests or for whipping together on a busy night.
It’s a healthy, vegan, whole-foods meal to keep you warm all winter long, and I think you’re going to love it!
I’d love to know how you make your butternut squash soups – so far these flavors are my favorite combination by far!
This recipe is:
Try these other vegan recipes:
Pin this for later!
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash
- 3-4 Medium Carrots
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Tsp Fennel Seed
- 1 Inch Fresh Minced Ginger
- 3 Tsp Sage
- 1/2 Tsp Thyme
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 2 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk (Full Fat) + more to drizzle
- Salt/ Pepper to Taste
- Carefully cut your butternut squash in half, remove seeds and peel skin off. Cut into small chunks and place in a large pot.
- Cut the carrots and apple into chunks and add to pot. Add fennel, minced ginger, sage, thyme, onion, vegetable broth, bay leaves, coconut milk, and salt and pepper to pot.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender when poked with a fork, roughly 25-30 minutes.
- Blend ingredients with an immersion blender.*
- Top with pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk, and enjoy with bread if desired!
- *If you don't have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool a bit and place in a ninja bullet or a regular blender. It's very important to allow the soup to cool to avoid messes or damage to your blender! Place it back in the pot and re-heat it up afterwards! It's an extra step, but an important one!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 324